Gardening and climate change

Page 4 of 4
Once upon a time on usenet T wrote:

Oh, you're talking about a hydroponic system. I have done some hydroponic / aeroponic growing in the past with humidity and temperature control and it's a whole different ball game to organic soil growing. They have very little in common.
In soil the humidity is much higher closer to the ground whereas in a hydroponic greenhouse it's fairly uniform top to bottom. It really is apples and oranges. A hydroponic greenhouse is a semi-closed system where you have control over light levels, temperature and humidity. Consequently you can walk that fine line between perfect and too high humidity knowing that it's not going to go too high, and that it's uniform.

The biggest problem this year for me was that 'spring' was mostly very wet and humid. We had maybe two weeks of 'yay it's spring' weather then six weeks of wet humid and colder than usual. I had to pull my first planting of tomatoes out as they just wet black and rotted (at >1.5m tall no less). So you can perhaps see why I don't agree that tomatoes like it very humid. (Ask anyone who grows tomatoes in the UK about what it's like trying to grow them in a climate that's too wet for them. They have to rotate the areas they grow them in religiously or they get bad blight early on in the season from the spores of last autumn.)
Then, a few days before Xmas, when I'd normally be getting into the main harvest the weather dried up - too much! It got very hot and dry. Consequently I've only just started getting a decent number or ripe tomatoes now and the days are getting much shorter already and the nights colder.
--
Shaun.

On Tuesday, March 10, 2015 at 2:30:54 AM UTC-7, T wrote:

[...tomatoes...hydroponic...etc]

[...soil...]
News to me!
HB
On 03/12/2015 09:28 AM, Hypatia Nachshon wrote:

Hi Higgs,
I though you had posted that you had broken your rule about growing tomatoes and had asked what were good Heirloom varieties?
Anyway, I came up with what I though was a good idea, but if you don't need the help, I won't waste your time.
-T
On 3/6/2015 12:45 PM, Hypatia Nachshon wrote:

For the views of the scientific community, see "Anthropogenic warming has increased drought risk in California" in the "Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America" at <http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2015/02/23/1422385112.abstract .
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
On Monday, March 9, 2015 at 4:09:52 PM UTC-7, David E. Ross wrote:

Thanks, David, it's useful to post scientific findings like the above. We probably all have intelligent, educated friends who are just not well-infor med; perhaps too busy in their lives to inform themselves on this (literall y!) life & death issue -- if not for them, then for their grandchildren or great-grandchildren.
Not to mention the enormous pre-scientific world population in undemocratic and totalitarian countries -- human beings who have no possibility to dete rmine their fate.
It is true that in the West there are ideologs who cling to their opinions regardless of scientific concensus. But trying to reason with them is not useful; they NEED their beliefs.
Time is better spent researching and sharing hard scientific data with thos e who might at least take said data into consideration.
Which leads me to HIGHLY recommending an article in the new Harper's Magazi ne entitled "Rotten Ice". It's by Gretel Erlich who has lived and traveled with Greenland natives for over 20 years and has written several powerful books on the decline of the native Greenland culture over time as the ice melts.
As a card-carrying Polar freak who has taken multiple adventure trips to th e Arctic (including Greenland)and Antarctic, I found Erlich's latest articl e terrifying.
That the Arctic manufactures climate for the rest of the world is not news to anyone who has been following events in recent years. That these develop ments are DIRECTLY connected to the changes we are beginning to experience is something where we need to connect the dots. That no one in power is doi ng anything about the melting ice -- au contraire, they are obstructing eff orts to stabilize if not reverse climate change -- is *really* terrifying.
Just thought I'd pass along one more resource to share with those open to h ear.
HB