Gardening and climate change

Page 1 of 4
All of us home gardeners are affected, to one degree or another & will be into the future. (Not to mention major food suppliers, even in "developed" countries.)
The deniers (including powerful committee chairmen in the US Congress) are still out there serving their Corporate Masters, but let us hope that their in$anity will become less influential as facts develop.
An entertaining article about the exposure of Willie Soon, one of the most corrupt "scientist" deniers can be found at:
http://www.onearth.org/earthwire/willie-soon-reader
OR
http://www.onearth.org/earthwire
You will need to scroll way down -- past some very useful articles -- to:
"All your Willie Soon schadenfreude in one handy article".
HB
"You can fool some of the people all of the time, all of the people some of the time, but not all of the people all of the time."
Abraham Lincoln
HB
On 3/6/2015 3:45 PM, Hypatia Nachshon wrote:

Sara, Who do you think funds all the scientists supporting global warming?
Once upon a time on usenet Frank" <"frank wrote:

You don't need to support a fact. It's only the deniers with vested interests who need to plow money into 'research'.
--
Shaun.

Clearly you haven't been reading "Frank" long.
When called on his innuendo, he claims complete innocence because he "didn't claim anything" (or words to that effect).
--
| Stories of tortures used by debauchers
Drew Lawson | lurid, licentious and vile
It's been nice to see some life in the group again. Let's not kill it by g etting political. I'd rather just read about the gardening advice and expe riences from others and take the divisive stuff somewhere else.
A little late getting things started this year myself. Just got the pepper seeds put into pots yesterday. Will get the tomatoes seeds into some dirt either today or tomorrow. As I'm potting things up, it seems my eyes were bigger than my garden space one again, so again I'm going to have to put s ome veggie plants in with the flowers (or wherever I can find room).
On 9/03/2015 8:19 AM, snotbottom wrote:

Climate Change has an impact on those of us who do bother to garden and who also try to have productive gardens. That makes climate change on topic here. Climate change only becomes a divisive issue here when those who can't read for comprehension try to deny that it is a reality.
On 3/8/2015 5:50 PM, Fran Farmer wrote:

Brooklyn1 wrote: ...

shit stirrers is as good a name as any for a good gardener. :)
songbird

Also good to have a nice catchy insult you can deliver while sitting behind your keyboard.
Trying to paper over Brooklyn's disgusting need to insult others?
Brooky is now a gardener because he posts pictures of a huge flat lawn with a couple of trees and the deer than come in and eat everything.
--
Dan Espen

Those kind of replies obviously mean you don't garden.
On 10/03/2015 3:59 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

Sheldon we've seen many pics of your "garden" so by your own definition, that must make you a shit stirrer.
A shit stirrer who grows nice grass.
Speaking of stirring... Reminds me that it's time to clean out the chicken coop and get it ready to go on the garden.

Speaking of stirring... Reminds me that it's time to clean out the chicken coop and get it ready to go on the garden.
On 10/03/2015 2:25 AM, songbird wrote:

LOL. Ain't that the truth! The best poop I ever scored was elephant poop when the circus came to a town near me. It is like giant horse poo and horse poo is one of my favourite poos.
Fran Farmer wrote:

:)
in that case i'd hate to be the street cleaning crew.
horse is not as smelly as many of the rest. i think goat and rabbit are ok too.
my all time favorite is worm poo. those little guys do amazing things. :)
took a look at some of the worm bins the other day and am glad to see my natives are doing ok. i started one bucket from the deeper earth worm species i can find when digging in some of the gardens. at least two species are in there. i wasn't sure how well they would do as i've had limited or poor results with some other worms here, so i was glad to see some little ones coming along and the adults also seemed to be healthy and doing well. i think it will be a few years before i will be putting a lot of these back out into the gardens.
songbird
On 12/03/2015 3:01 PM, songbird wrote:

They do indeed. Which reminds me, I've been meaning to give my worm farms a half bucket of kitchen scraps all day.

I'm sure you would love one of our native worm species :-)): http://www.treehugger.com/natural-sciences/nature-blows-mind-worlds-largest-gippsland-worm.html
Fran Farmer wrote:
...re worms...

yes, that's an impressive worm all right. :)
songbird
songbird wrote:

Odd, it's generally the gels what say that to the blokes...
--
David

songbird wrote:

http://www.yidio.com/movie/squirm/5840?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Search&t_sourced&utm_campaign=3&gclid=CNib38_tpcQCFUkV7AodhzgAqw
i knew of one large worm in the states here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_Palouse_earthworm
however, that's a long ways from here.
our largest in this area is about 1/3 that size (up to about 15-20cm long).
the pattern for the larger worms is that they are found in soils that have some clay.
songbird