flower or weed

http://home.comcast.net/~frank.logullo/weed.jpg
Anyone know what this is? Mentioned to wife that flowers look a little like hemlock and now she's worried.
Frank
On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 19:48:37 -0400, Frank

The foliage looks like yarrow. The flowers looks too big, more fleabane size, but that could be the angle. My bet is on yarrow.
If so, Achillea millefolium is a wonderful plant. It was said that Achilles was dipped in yarrow but held by his heel, so that was the only part of his body that wasn't protected.
Yarrow is amazing at stopping bleeding. I introduced it to my diabetic neighbor. Chew on a leaf and apply it to a bleeding wound and voila, the bleeding stops. Great to have in a garden, although some folks might not like that it spreads.
On 6/11/10 6:11 PM, snipped-for-privacy@notme.com wrote:

The legend of Achilles is that his mother Thetis dipped him as an infant into the River Styx (which must be crossed by the dead to reach Hades). See <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Achilles'_heel> for details.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean

I just wish I could make mine spread. I killed one by planting it in the ground. If you were to grow only one medical plant, this is the one that I would choose. http://www.pfaf.org/database/plants.php?Achillea+millefolium
--
- Billy
On 6/12/2010 2:11 AM, Billy wrote:

Tough luck Billy. It's growing free on a bank recently denuded of winter damaged white pines.
Thanks to you and others for identifying. My wife likes it and so far the deer haven't eaten it, so it is a welcome addition to our home.
Billy wrote:

A little more on that here:
http://waddell.ci.manchester.ct.us/id_yarrow.html

I note the use of it in brewing beer. Having helped someone make beer, hops is a major cost. It looks like yarrow came first though.
Jeff
Billy wrote:
yarrow. i know it well... when you cut it it has a pretty distinctive smell.
we sneeze and get rather runny noses when we deadhead it. i like to leave it alone because it overgrows a lot of other plants (dandelions, crab grasses, etc)

we have plenty of yarrow here (4 kinds, three of which i like, white, pink and red, the other is yellow and smells too much like dog poo to me).
it makes a wonderful lawn if you keep it mowed -- it spreads and makes a soft mat to walk on. it also seems to keep greener through the dryer and hotter parts of summer when the regular grass goes dormant.
songbird

It seems disrespectful to another species that offers so much.
--
- Billy

I agree that it's yarrow.

Definitly yarrow, but it's far too good for Frnk.
--
- Billy

Milkweed.
Grows as a weed here in the NE US.
Sole source of food for the Monarch butterfly.

Looks like Yarrow could be queen Anns lace.
--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
What use one more wake up call?

Queen Ann's leaves look like carrot leaves, this one's don't.
--
- Billy
Billy wrote:

Queen Anne flowers are larger, more delicate clusters and have a tiny maroon structure in the center of the cluster. gloria p

Some varieties quite different.
<http://www.whiteflowerfarm.com/cgi-local/search.pl?text=yarrow&name.x  &name.y=2&name=Go>