FIGS - not ripening

Dear friends, I bought a fig tree this year from Franks nursery in Long Island, it is growing very well and made lots of small figs but the fruit is not ripening and any fruit that becomes little big falls off. So please can some one tell me what is happening. And also living in New York that is zone 7 do I need to cover over the winter and if yes then with what should I cover it. Thanking you in advance for your replys, sabaa

Reply to
Sabaa Mundia

Your plant is still too young to produce viable fruit. It takes a couple of years for the rootstock to get thoroughly established.

You will indeed need to cover your plant for it survive the winter. Ask an old Greek or Italian that has fig trees how they overwinter their plants in your area.

Reply to
Cereoid-UR12-

mine are planted in big tubs I drag them into the heated garage for winter real fig people tie the trees, wrap them and then tip them over into a trench (have to undercut one side of the rootball), cover the trees with dirt and then straw over the top of that. Figs need lots of fert and water to be really productive. I too am at the little fig stage, but this is the first year they are in the big plastic tubs. I will see next year. Ingrid

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Unfortunately, I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the endorsements or recommendations I make.

Reply to
dr-solo