Ficus behaving strangely

I have a ficus tree that is otherwise very happy where it is outside and has thrived for at least 8 years. The plant appears to be very happy and has minimal dropping of leaves. Moreover, it is full and lush and green. However, recently I have notices stingy shoots or roots growing from the branches and hanging down like the kind of baby roots you would find if you stuck a clipping in a glass of water to propagate it. Admittedly, I live in Austin, TX where it has been raining quite a bit over the last 3 weeks, more rain than we've had in a number of years. Again the plant seems to be very happy otherwise, but these new roots/shoots are rather odd. Does anyone know or have any idea what's going on with this plant. I have to add that I have never kept a ficus alive for more than a few years so this definitely a first for me and I am concerned that the tree has picked up some kind of plant parasite or disease even though the leaves, branches and soil seem to be extremely healthy.

Reply to
lharris1

Here are some examples of prop roots which certain species of ficus produce: Very beautiful.

see "roots" at

Sincerely, John A. Keslick, Jr. Arborist

Beware of so-called tree experts who do not understand tree biology. Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding us that we are not the boss.

Reply to
symplastless

At the bottom of this page you will see some basic root types of trees.