fescue re-seeding

What is the best time of year to re-seed parts of my fescue lawn? I tried a few weeks ago and nothing grew. I'm in the San Fernando Valley in LA, and it's been in the low to mid 90's for several weeks. I've had direct sun every day.
Thanks
I have overseeded in October, with some light snowfall shortly after. Fescue does not mind the cooler temperatures, in fact, it helps keep it moist. Right now, the intense sun could easily burn the seedlings. I saw dramatic results in a much thicker lawn by overseeding the previous fall. Definately protect with straw.
On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 05:48:08 -0400, Chris Owens