Feeding clematis

Sorry if this has been asked a million times... How often are you supposed to feed your clematis plants, and what would the best food be. So far I have been using 5-9-8 'So-Green' vine & clematis food.
Thanks, Luca

Clematis gurus suggest the intial fertilizing in late February or March when the vines are pruned and again in June or dose with a liquid fertilizer at three week intervals during the growing season.
Personally, I fertilize about now (I use an organic rose fertilizer) and that's it. And I don't necessarily fertilize all my clematis vines. I skip the very vigorous ones like Sweet Autumn, armandii and the montanas, otherwise the monsters would overtake and engulf the entire garden. I do mulch with compost annually, though.
pam - gardengal
Pam - gardengal wrote:

I do the same thing. I fertilize my roses and clematis at the same time, in spring and again in late summer, using rose fertilizer.
--

Julie
http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumList?u=3008861

I googled for organic rose fertilizer and found mostly references to various mixes of:
- bone meal - blood meal - composted manure (of different types)
Is there a commercial product that you can recommend?
Luca
Sticking my big nose in, I like Rosetone, by Espoma, very much.
Dave
wrote:

in

Here's an obnoxious 'me too' post for Espoma products.
--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA

Thanks for your suggestion, but it looks like Espoma products are just not available in Canada (I live in the Vancouver area). Funny how a company in 2004 can still happily overlook a ~30 million people market, not even one hit on their website... I guess that the word recession means nothing to the organic fertilizer industry. :-) Any alternatives?
Luca

I wasn't sure what to feed my clematis. Last year I just mulched it with compost. Last weekend I gave it some fish emulsion.

I'm on the Espoma home page right now, http://www.espoma.com , and it says it's generally available in the eastern US. I didn't know that, I thought it had a wider distribution. Too bad, it's great stuff!
--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA