Feeding caught fish to chickens

Page 1 of 2
Sometimes I catch fish that is too cumbersome to cook. And yet it is damaged enough by the fishing hook to release it back to the lake.
So, I would like to simply feed it to the chickens. Is that a good idea? Can chickens pick at a un-filleted whole fish?
@NOSPAM.14990.invalid (Ignoramus14990) says...

They should love it, but don't let a half-eaten fish carcass lay around for days. Not only will it breed disease, it will stink!
--
http://home.teleport.com/~larryc

Thanks. I think that I will grind that fish in the grinder along with other kitchen scraps, which I grind anyway.
(Ignoramus14990) says...

Since I don't have any chickens but yet am an avid fisher, I bury the ones I don't want to eat under a bush or tree. It's fantastic fertilizer.
Terri
(Ignoramus14990) says...

That's interesting but why do you not want to eat fish under a bush or tree? :)
'enry VIII

I would not eat them in a plane,I would not eat them on a train.
Terri

On a bicycle?
'enry VIII
(Ignoramus14990) says...

around
Unless he is a much better fisherman than I, there will be no half-eaten fish in the chicken pen after an hour or less. Chickens are not known for leaving half-eaten delicacies laying around.
Ray
Chicken then tastes like fish! It's true! In Peru they use fish meal for chicken feed - and it tastes like fish!
--
gloria - only the iguanas know for sure

how about their eggs?
Are you hoping the chicken eggs will taste like caviar?
Gloria Lenon wrote:

for
On Fri, 28 May 2004 16:06:42 +0000, Ignoramus14990 wrote:

Would also depend on where you catch the fish and the species. There is a mercury advisory on some fish in the COE lake near me ... only one fish meal per month for children and pregnant wormen.

Well, I figure that since I do not eat my chickens (I keep them for eggs), there is no danger here, since eggs do not accumulate mercury.
On Fri, 28 May 2004 18:50:18 +0000, Ignoramus14990 wrote:

No offense meant, but I was thinking of the health of the chickens. The thought of a flock of mercury-demented chickens is not a pretty picture. <g> (However, mercury is found in the eggs of fish-eating birds.)

The eggs can readily have a fishy taste but only if fish accounts for too high a percentage of their diet. Take into account that there is already some fish meal in most prop. chicken feeds. Brian
Who cares?
Are you trying to create your own chicken of the sea?
This is a gardening newsgroup not poultry pointers.
Which stinks worse chicken shit or dead fish?

From the tone of your post, I would say neither, your breath is probably worst than both. <VBG>
'enry VIII
Why don't you kiss my giblets, Octohank?
Just stick to something you are good at like flinging cow pies at cars on the interstate or farting the national anthem?

I tried that but I couldn't get them out of your mother fast enough! <VBG>
'enry VIII
That's about all I would expect to hear from some dimwitted cracker that huffs outhouse fumes for a thrill.

on