Fast growing trees / plants

I'm looking to plant some trees or plants in my garden that grow quickly and have the potential to grow tall (3 meters +). Any suggestions? I plan to buy some that are perhaps already 1 meter tall. Can I plant these now or do I need to wait until after the winter.

thanks

Reply to
UrbanPlanting

Where are you? What is your climate?

This information is important. If you are in the central prairies of Canada, your planting season and choices of plants is quite different from my planting season and choices.

Reply to
David E. Ross

Address is UK and either clueless or moron and our answers will probably show up on that UK garden website ;)

Reply to
Frank

Even in the UK, climate varies from north to south and from coastal to inland.

Reply to
David E. Ross

Autumn is a great time to plant trees and shrubs as they have a nice amount of time, with generally, sufficient rainfall, before the heavy winter frosts arrive.

If you are looking for hedging, photinia red robin is an ideal choice, with its lovely red foliage on the new growth and evergreen features. Pyracantha is another interesting evergreen shrub with the benefit of colourful berries in the autumn.

Cuppressus Totem are attractive column conifers for feature plants.

Just some ideas for you.

Reply to
Plants_Galore

3m is considered small for a tree, not tall. Tall is more like 15m. The main problem with trees is finding ones that only grow 3m. Stuff that grows fast rarely stops at 3m.

If you want something that grows fairly fast and will reliable stop at about 3m, I would suggest buying a bamboo called Fargesia murieliae "Simba". It is a true clumping bamboo so it won't be invasive.

TV gardening programmes have given the idea of the instant garden. The reality is that plants start small and get bigger, and then carry on getting bigger, so you need to plan for longer term development, otherwise it is easy to end up with an unmanageable jungle.

Reply to
echinosum

Hi David

Thanks for your reply. I'm in the South East of England.

Cheers

Reply to
UrbanPlanting

Yes, the bamboo I mentioned is hardy to -25C, and is very happy with English summer temps, but does need to be watered in a drought. If you are happy with 5m, then most bamboo suitable for the British climate (there are many but be careful about invasiveness, only Fargesia and Thamnocalamus are reliably non-invasive.

Someone mentioned leylandii and eucalyptus as fast growers. True, but they won't stop growing.

I think if you want a "tree" that stays below 5m, you are really into the category of largish shrubs, such as the photinia someone suggested. There are plenty of others, such as Cotinus, many kinds of Berberis, Dogwoods, Philadephus, etc, etc. A fruit tree on semi-dwarfing stock will also be OK.

Reply to
echinosum

he best way to grow up your palnts and tree fastly. in the morning time give water and in the evening time give the urea . and animal c*ms are also needed

Reply to
samith

Any comment?

Reply to
samith

English is not your first language so it isn't too clear what you are trying to say. I could be wrong but it looks like you don't know much about plants either.

David Hare-Scott

Language makes little difference. "In the morning time give water, and in the evening time give the urea". Where does this come from? Water in the morning makes sense, but why urea in the afternoon? Urea could easily be an reference to nitrogen. Don't be so quick to dismiss.

Reply to
Billy

Coconut and banana plants are some of the fastest growing plants, i grow banana tree within 1 month

Reply to
vanessada