Extreme newbie needs tools recommendations

Page 2 of 2
I have tried a variety of tools over time, so here's a few nuggets - If you are not of "average" size, I recommend that you handle the tools at the store a bit before buying - you will get a feel for how a tool works with your body size. I know, because I am short and have small hands, so I have to do this all the time. Then I'll go see if I can get it cheaper on-line.
One tool I highly recommend is what is called a short or small shovel - looks like a shovel for a dwarf, but is as sturdy as a regular shovel. They are great for when you need a shovel, are down on your knees beside the bed, and using a regular shovel won't do the job as the handle will be too long for leverage (trust me, you will be in this position routinely). I got one as a gift about 6 or 7 years ago, and have really appreciated it.
Another tool - long handled by-pass loppers - they will be very handy reaching up high, getting into the middle of bushes, and can cut larger branches that regular pruners. Mine are made by Fiskar.
This should get you started :)