Establishing New Donkey Tail From Stem of Old Plant

I took two stems of a healthy donkey tail succulent and planted them into cactus and succulent planting mix. The base of the stems and some parts of the plant near the base appear to me to be unhealthy and shriveling. The tip of the donkey tail looks healthy and is growing towards the light. Here is a photo of the planting where it meets the soil:
Does anyone see anything here that suggests overwatering or a problem with the planting?
Is some dieback near the stem base a typical pattern for this plant when transplanted? I should be watering once a week? It's okay to leave the stem totally dry six out of seven days?