Establishing roots

When planting new plants, bushes, and the like how long would you expect it to take for the roots to establish themselves?

When I purchased my Thyme it was recommended that I keep the soil moist until the roots had a chance to establish themselves, afterwhich they should be reasonably drought tolerant. So I'm wondering generally speaking how long is that anyway?

Reply to
Eigenvector

3 months
Reply to
Billy

Mmmm, not with thyme, sorry to say. Herbaceous plants recouperate and develop root hairs much faster than poor root systems on things like roses, blueberries, and many trees. I would say to keep the soil moist, not wet. Thyme will definitely die if you over water it. It will show the same symptoms as a plant which is dried out...crispy foliage, loss of leaves, etc. Feel the soil with your hand and if it is dry, water it. You want the roots to stretch to the capillary water. If you keep water too near the existing roots they will not push out into the soil, but it will just wrap around and around.

Reply to
Jangchub

Proper root pruning would help the tree roots respond properly.

symplastless

Hmm, might explain what happened to my first batch. They got planted then it rained practically every day for weeks on end. But I'll take your advice and keep the ground moist and not soaked.

Reply to
Eigenvector

Oy.

Reply to