English ivy eaten by deer

I used plastic berry netting over my English ivy area, held up by 2' stakes. The deer ate every bit of ivy except the area protected by the netting. I've tried blood meal, mothballs, tobacco tea, rotten eggs, Irish spring, and fish emulsion without much success.

Could you send some of your deer to Washington State? Here, English Ivy is a highly invasive plant (it's the Kudzu of the NW) and nothing seems to eat it.

Hey, when you get done with those deer could you please send them to Tennessee? I've got at least a half acre of EI that I can't keep under control and it threatens to pull down some of my trees. EI might just be worse than kudzu. At least kudzu only grows heavily where there is adequate sunshine but EI even spreads in dense shade.
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

Have you tried goats? : )
steve

A Winchester would do the trick.
J. Del Col
On 20 Nov 2003 07:45:33 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@mail.ab.edu (J. Del Col) wrote:

Too much noise (and illegal here), but I'm considering a bow and arrow.

Too much noise (and illegal here), but I'm considering a bow and arrow.>>
With the cooperation of my ajoining neighbors we ended up with about 15 acres where we allowed a small group to go bow hunting. Each landowner is allowed 3 does in archery season so with husbands and wives each getting 3 permits, we ended up with 12 plus the ones held by the hunters. They only can get here on weekends, but so far have killed 9 deer. Since most of the other neighbors are Bambi huggers, I'm not sure if the hunt is really going to make much of a difference.
Dave http://members.tripod.com/~VideoDave
They make a sprinkler system that gets rid of deer. It works with a censor ray.My friend bought on and it works great they say.HOPE I HELPS YOU

I have some on a hillside and I used to have some in pots. The deer don't bother mine until the very end of winter when food is very scarce. Even when they do eat it, it always recovers. Considering all the complaints about EI being invasive, I think the deer may actually be keeping mine under control.

Two years ago I lined my neighbors garden with habenero peppers. The result was no rabbits and no deer.
Only humans are dumb enough to eat habeneros.
Dick
P.S.: Best habenero seeds are at www.redsavina.com
Isn't it deer season...?

Nick asked: