Elephant foot palm

My palm's leaves have gone brown!

There are 4 or 5 shoots near the foot.

Can I cut the main trunk down (to what height?) and

will it grow back like a pollarded tree?

Will the shoots grow to a good size?

John

Reply to
guuuus

Hi, Nolina recurvata, aka ponytail palm or elephant foot palm is not a palm but like palms is a monocot and unable to heal surface wounds. With this in mind care must be taken when cutting these plants. Wax has been used to seal wounds on them, I have no experience doing this. Is this plant in a pot or ground? Is there any softness in the trunk/s? Did the leaves gradually brown from the tips or just turn brown? If there is no softness under the area with the brown leaves, I would wait and see what happens. DO NOT overwater. If this is a potted plant, ponytails are notorious pot busters so consider that it may be root bound. HTH -_- how no NEWS is good

Reply to
how