Dry creek bed?

There was a very interesting article in today's paper about creating a dry creek bed to take water away from the house when necessary. It sounds like just the thing for my yard but I need more information on it. Does anyone have experience with this idea?
My back yard is flat and the yards on either side are a little higher. During a recent period of days of hard rains the ground became saturated and looked like little lakes all over the yard. Thank goodness the patio was built right and water went to the yard instead of the house.
The yard is featureless. I have put chopped leaves on top of grass to make the turf easier to dig this year and create large curves, but a dry creek with plants on the edges would be interesting. I wonder where you start and end this creek. Has anyone come across more to read about this?
Marilyn in Ohio
I want to add that I have googled dry creek bed and found many sites, but I would like to hear opinions and experiences of real gardeners on this group.
Marilyn in Ohio
Hi Marilyn,
A recent issue of Landscape Architecture magazine dealt with this concept, and gave some really good advice. The article is 'A Good Soaking: An Introduction to Water Harvesting in The Midwest', by Ann Philips, 8/03, pp. 46, 50, 53, 54, 55. (8/03 refers to issue #8 of 2003.) A short into to the article can be read here: http://www.asla.org/lamag/lam03/august/ecology.html
The article mentions a publication of the City of Tuscon titled, 'City of Tucson Water Harvesting Guidance Manual'. The idea is to take water that would normally run off a site (be it from impermeable surfaces such as roadways, roofs, patios, etc.) or just soil that is overwhelmed by stormwater and putting it to beneficial use. That manual is available online:
'City of Tucson Water Harvesting Guidance Manual', http://www.ci.tucson.az.us/planning/whm.pdf
Dave

As an addendum, I think it would be a good idea to work with a professional to site the dry creek bed and to also specify materials so that the bed can function to both channel and diffuse stormwater.
Dave

Good point. This is the kind of input I need.
Marilyn
Where do you live, Marilyn? Perhaps I can suggest someone close by...
Dave

Near Columbus, OH. I would appreciate it.
Marilyn
\

Search this term and you will find all you need
"rain garden"
Tom
Tom, I'm knocking them dead with this concept in Houston. Good suggestion. Sure is an effient and low cost solution as well as a natural way to recharge the water table.
J. Kolenovsky http://www.celestialhabitats.com
Beecrofter wrote:

--

Celestial Habitats by J. Kolenovsky
On 26 Jan 2004 07:50:56 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@localnet.com (Beecrofter) wrote:

Fascinating. I'm going to e-mail the local newspaper's garden columnist and suggest a feature. In this area, we are charged a yearly tax for "runoff" into the (Chesapeake) Bay. I'd never heard of "rain gardens" before. What a nifty idea! And plenty of information available.