Disillusionment Of A Tree Grower

So I planted 1,000 trees over an eight-year period, and then Ronny Reagan said that trees cause pollution. Apparently, a University of Helsinki study confirmed this assertion in finding that trees, especially conifers, release volative organic compounds that pollute. In addition, they release NOX which contributes to smog.
I'm not getting into a pissing contest with those who disagree; hell, I ain't a scientist anyway. But there is no doubting the fact that trees use copious amts. of H2O which, we are remineded, is in short supply for an ever-growing world population.
Way Back Jack wrote:

Everything is a trade-off, you know? Plant a tree, remove some CO2 from the environment...but gulp down a whole lot of fresh water, and apparently release some NOX, too.
There's no free lunch.
chillin'@home.net (Way Back Jack) wrote:

For all his good Irish jokes Ray-gun was no scientist either. Not to worry, trees clean particulate matter out of the air and provide us with clean water.
--
FB - FFF

Billy

I suspect that you are funning but I'll play.

The Ronny Rayguns who was almost as cogent as little Georgie Bush? The reason their pronouncements are noted is not because the words are so wise but because the speaker is so powerful.
Apparently, a University of

So what? 1000s of years ago before humans set about cutting down forests there were many more trees than there are today. Was that bad? Should we avoid that in future?

Yes trees do need water but forests act very positively as part of the water cycle. Think of this way - what proportion of the water that trees use stays in the tree? Over the life of the tree very little. In a healthy forest even the small amount (by comparison to the total turnover) held in the tree gets recycled. But in the life of a tree it sends round huge amounts of water, to the great benefit of many organisms that grow with them.
If you like deserts cut down all your trees.
David
Way Back Jack wrote:

Troll, troll, troll your boat Gently down the stream
--
They're locking them up today they're throwing away the key
I wonder who it'll be tomorrow you or me.

Believe that was way after Reagan. Relates about forest clear cutting in Finland. Maybe clear cutting your forest ain't a good idea. Nitrous oxide is a laughing matter especially its aspect regarding man-made chemicals involved in smog. "Copious" is a matter of relative use vs. benefit. Where does the water go if trees and the environment it creates are not present. Water is not in short supply. Naturally appearing and hygenically safe to drink water is becoming that way. So is breathable air, thanks to smog and cutting down trees en masse. Dave
On Aug 28, 4:48?pm, snipped-for-privacy@home.net (Way Back Jack) wrote:

Actually the quantity of water on planet Earth has always been the same since the planet's creation, only thing chnes is where water resides... I suppose if an astronaut takes a leak and jetisons it into space well than some small amount of water is lost... but I believe the astronauts bring back all the water they bring into space, in fact I'm pretty certain that the astonaut's piss is recycled, many times.. just like here on Earth. If somehow there was a way for water to escape this planet all life on Earth would have long ago ceased to exist.

Yes, and when it "resides" inside a tree's cells, it cannot quench your thirst.
Duh.
On Aug 30, 7:31?am, snipped-for-privacy@nospam.net (Way Back Jack) wrote:

You never drank orange juice... however in your case prune juice is more appropriate. DUH

Never drank oak juice, or spruce juice, or thousands of other tree juices.
Furthermore, by the time you extract the orange juice, the people will have died of dehydration.
waybackjack wrote:

At least they can sit in the cool shade as they expire.
You must have been greatly relieved when John Denver died - looney fanatic telling everyone to "plant a tree"...

I planted 1,000 of 'em.
Not because he told me, though.
On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 15:23:19 +0000, Way Back Jack wrote:

Don't recall the details, but the gist of the incident was this: The owners of a mountain lake surrounded by conifers wanted a bigger lake. They decided that what stood between them a bigger lake was those pesky trees using so much water. So, they cut down trees bordering the lake. The water level in the lake went down.
Turns out that at their/similar locations, conifers "capture" more water from fog/mist than they consume; they're a net positive.
AL wrote:

Since he died by crashing his plane into water thus making that bit of it unusable, I doubt it.

Making WHAT unusable? The water, the plane or his body? Anyone for two out of three?
FragileWarrior wrote:

Only water: tied up in trees, then desecrated by tree-hugger John Denver.