deer and planting questions

i just purchased a house where deer have been known to roam.................. i am planning to do some planting, and wonder if someone has a site recommendation of plants NOT to use because of deer.

so far i KNOW i want a grove of lilacs, and lilly of the valley .

Reply to
rosie

It's really hard to advise you since we don't know where you live. I would suggest that you check with your state's cooperative extension agency (each county has an office). You can also do a google search on deer resistant plants. Please be aware that there are few plants that deer won't eat under harsh circumstances. As winter concludes and the deer are very hungry, they will eat nearly anything. I find that they come increasingly closer to my house in late winter, presumably taking more risks as food supplies dwindle and their fat reserves are used.

Reply to
Vox Humana

I have had lily of the valley and lilacs in deer country for many years. The deer seem to nibble on newly planted lilacs but don't seem to bother them much.

Gary

Reply to
Gary and Karen Manning

I have the same problem and did a google search for "deer resistant plants" which came up with some good hits. Also, my local nursery had info sheets on the subject. Here is the list i compiled from various sources:

-kim

Annuals Perennials

Ageratum Alyssum Heather Alyssum Artemesia Heuchera Begonia Astilbe Purple Coneflower Dusty Miller Aster Hellebore (Christmas/Lenten rose) Forget-me-not Baby's Breath Lily-of-the-Valley Foxglove Balloon Flower Lupine Gaillardia Bellflower Monarda Marigold Bergenia Poppy Morning Glory Buttercup Primrose Nasturtium Candytuft Salvia Ornamental pepper Chrysanthemum Shasta Daisy Salvia Coreopsis Snow-in-Summer Scented Geranium Columbine Sundrops Snapdragon Daffodils Statice Stock Dianthus Viola Vinca Fern Yarrow Zinnia Lamb's Ear Yucca Herbs Vines and Ground Covers Trees

Basil Ajuga (I) Beech Catmint Boston Ivy (I) Birch Lavender Pachysandra Crape Myrtle Mint Periwinkle Ginkgo Oregano Sweet Woodruff Hawthorne Parsley Virginia creeper (I) Maple Rosemary Wisteria (I) Palms I = invasive Spruce

Shrubs Barberry Hawthorne Oleander Boxwood ` Holly Pieris Japonica Cotoneaster Kerria Quince Deutzia Mahonia Spirea Forsythia Mock Orange Gardenia Nandina

Reply to
Kim E.