Composting urine

Page 1 of 2
I know that using your "wee" on a compost heap is okay as it's high in nitrogen, and that you can compost almost anything that once lived, however, my question is one that i'm sure hasn't been asked before...
I have recently started using a new cat litter for my 2 puss cats. It is compressed pellets of sawdust, which are solid, but when wee'd on, they expand and turn back into sawdust. It great, as wood has a natural ability to absorb odour and the ammonia which traditionally makes cat wee smell. Obviously, they poo in there aswell, but all traces of solid matter are removed and disposed of.
My question quite simply, is just before the wood pellets/sawdust reaches saturation point and is not a pile of sawdusty slop is when I would normally empty the wee'd on sawdust into a plastic bag and bin it. Can I put this on my compost heap to help it along instead?? It seems an awful waste of what seems to me to a perfectly good compostable material!!
Any help most gratefully received!
--
jwturpin

On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 23:05:22 +0100, jwturpin

The general guidelines of home composting advise not to use carnivore waste due to harmful pathogens. Ask your vet.

Instead of getting all pissy about this, try some yarrow leaves on your compost. http://www.pfaf.org/database/plants.php?Achillea+millefolium See "Other Uses".
--

Billy

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=7WBB0svwMdY&feature=related

In article

Wow, this is a terrific website, Billy -- Thanks!
Another great plant for the compost pile is stinging nettle. IIRC, they call it a bio-dynamic plant.
Jan

Another site I like (similar but different) is http://www.holistic-online.com/Herbal-Med/Hol_Herb_Directory_Index.htm
--

Billy

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=7WBB0svwMdY&feature=related

Don't put it into compost that may be used in a vegetable garden, but if you only use compost on shrubs, add it and always wear gardening gloves and be fastidious about hand washing.
wrote in message

it will also do as a mulch on gardens that do not grow vegetables, around trees, under hedges etc. Many places in the garden it can be beneficial.
rob
wrote in

is this also true if the solids are removed? it appears that all the OP wants to know about is using the pee soaked sawdust in his compost. AFAIK, it's only the fecal material that carries pathogens that may be transferred to humans... that said, i'd just make a separate pile for ornamentals & use it in that pile :) lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there

Damn it. Sorry to hear this. You're in my thoughts, prayers, meditations, whatever it is called.
Charlie
Charlie wrote in wrote:

thanks Charlie. it's not a big deal thing. it's small & hasn't affected the lymph nodes yet. caught it early. now if i can get the Doctor that's supposed to do the biopsy coordinated, i'll be happy. nice thing about no insurance is i don't have to do things the way the insurance company says. *i* get to say remove the whole thing, not accept a partial biopsy. i also have a slight hypothyroid. lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there

Sounds like a hypochondriac starting a collection;-)
--

Billy

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=7WBB0svwMdY&feature=related

ct.net.au:

nah, last time i saw a doctor was 6 weeks after my now 7.5 year old was born. my mom had been nagging me to get a baseline physical to check for osteoporosis, blah, blah, for 3 years (since i turned 50). she died in Feb. (of hospital stupidity. mistakes were made that could have been easily avoided), so i decided i probably should do what i promised. the thyroid might explain the 20 extra baby pounds i just haven't been able to drop (although having them puts me at "normal" weight for my height (148/5'8"), i've never been over 128 pounds before & i *feel* like a cow). since i don't have medical insurance, i can't afford to be a hypochondriac ;) i do think it allows me to demand better treatment though. the doctors answer to me, not some for profit corporation. we'll see if it actually works that way... lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there

Good. Waiting on things, biopsy and all, is a little anxious. Mona has been through it twice, the biopsy route, good news both times. Her surgeon will *not* do a partial and takes considerable extra surrounding tissue for good measure.
Keep us in the loop, if you don't mind. Now, enough of that for now. Time for an ale, eh? :-)
Peace and Patience Charlie
On 4/26/08 9:05 AM, in article Xns9A8C5C7CAA4D8enigmaempirenet@199.125.85.9,

I'll be thinking about you Lee. You know the addy if you need to talk. C

:) maybe we should go buy plants. my doctor asked if i was going to go jump off a bridge. do people really react that badly? i mean, yeah, it *might* kill one, but in this case that's sooo unlikely & i really have to much to do to get all stupid about it. i told him i was more concerned about the hypothyroid thing, as *that* is what saps my energy :p
how's the Red October hosta? mine seems a bit slower to come up than the unknown old hostas, but it's also in the shadiest garden. OTOH, one bit that's been sitting in a baggie in the kitchen all winter waiting to get sent to WI has several leaves now... the hellebores are blooming. very cool plants. lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there
On 4/27/08 8:58 AM, in article Xns9A8D5B521D1F4enigmaempirenet@199.125.85.9,

After I get back from Peoria next week we can make plans. Is the place in Raymond still in business?

Oh yah!

Didn't make it it seems - I lost several hostas this winter - all to voles I suspect. Lots of sedums seem to be only crows, but those are so hardy they'll have new roots in no time. C

So, all you can do is go with the flow, relax. My "very significant other" has gone through this twice with two very different cancers. You may be dead or you may be in for some very unpleasant x-ray therapy. Hopefully it was found before it became very large. Get well. We love you:-)
--

Billy

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=7WBB0svwMdY&feature=related

thanks. it's very small (half inch) & no lymph involvement. Dr. says it'll be expensive, but i do get no insurance discounts. as i told Charlie, i'm not overly concerned. i'd rather *not* be dead, of course :) i have too much i still need to teach the boy. lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there

They'll probably still take the nearest one out of precaution. Get it taken care of with haste before it metastasizes. Don't dick around with it. Intelligent people are hard to come by. Besides I still need your help with spinning.
The nearest shop that has a drop spindle is over an hour away. They have three bottom whorl spindles 1.3 oz., 3.3 oz., and 3.7 oz. I ended up ordering on-line (Ashford 3 oz., bottom whorl). Probably will be another week before it gets here.
I'm sure I'll have questions soon;-)
--

Billy

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=7WBB0svwMdY&feature=related

Given time, I might be. Given time. Hate to stop on this ball or yarn now;-)