Compost bin design?

IIRC, the person who started this discussion had an acre. So an open heap should work fine for that. The pile gets hot. Then when it cools off (or too much rain douses it) tear it all down with the rototiller and then pile it back up again with a pitchfork. When you add something nasty to the pile, bury it a little. The only vermin I had a problem with was fire ants.

For a typical home gardener, two small piles right next to each other, enclosed on 3 sides with wood pallets on edge to make an "E" (someone mentioned this a day or two ago) is the best system I've found. When you're just getting it started, make the pile in one side and then every once in a while turn it good by forking the compost over to the other side.

Best regards, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

bin?

> Following this thread an "above ground composter" evolved into the

A "normal brained" person would have actually read Janet's entire post (the part that you snipped), where she describes exactly what she's talking about in reference to her homemade bins using pallets. Additionally, before going off and attributing a misperception to some other part of the thread, one might have googled what a "dalek" composter is, even if they had made no connection to Dr. Who.

Additionally, your narrow definitions concerning composting are beyond curmudgeonly. Decomposition of organic matter has several intersecting words to describe the state of the decomposition, which some people might use interchangeably. The techniques might vary, the results may vary with some drawbacks, but it's all good to avoid throwing organic matter in the landfill. Nature will continue the process, no matter what state the organic material has achieved or what words a mere human uses to describe it.

Reply to
cat daddy

The message from "JoeSpareBedroom" contains these words:

Here's the models supplied by local councils (prices in sterling).

Here's pallet compost bins
Janet.

Reply to
Janet Baraclough

I know. But, I'm referring to a generic category of composters. The links were to illustrate that category.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

twist "someone's" knickers........... OMG, the Green Cone doesn't produce humus!

Here's pallet compost bins

> Janet.

Reply to
cat daddy

Actually by your own link there is no such nomenclature as "above ground" composter... again, for the THICK HEADED, this thread evolved into calling a tumbler type composter an above ground composter.

You're weird (actrually you're an ignoranus), in that you and your cohorts are pretending to be erudite while in fact you're functionally illiterate.

Reply to
Sheldon

zxcvbob wrote:

I've found that small piles/heaps don't work very well for the same reason that pallets don't, they don't contain the generated heat very well, in fact hardly at all (that's why my neighbor's turkey wire contraption didn't work). What you describe that you have is a rather large heap, it would be if you need to go at it with a BIG rototiller... no one takes a BIG rototiller and CLIMBS UP into a small pile about a cubic yard... you must have had a small mountain there... too bad as you say you HAD it, would be nice to see a picture, perhaps you do have one, please post it if you do. Really all I'm saying is that your system will work rather well but it's not very aesthetic by many standards. The typical home gardener buys one of the pretty commercially manufactured bins, but unfortunately there are so many designs and most folks just getting into composting haven't a clue as to which. Again, the rotary type (above ground) suck... but they sell because lots of folk are really attracted to things that whirl and spin, especially if they get to crank the handle... they're blooming imbeciles... imagine how many more they'd sell if they made them with blinking colored lights. There are plenty of blooming imbeciles posting to this thread too, I don't believe for a second that they own those composters they talk about, anyone can point to an image on a web site and say that's what I've been using forever, especially after the fact that someone mentioned it's the one they use showed it on the same exact site... they do a lot of lip flapping but they don't show an actual photo of their actual composter on their actual property, so far I think I'm the only one here who's posted a photo of the actual composter on his actual property. Notice how quiet are all those who do actually post photos of what they say they are about, they know... res ipsa loquitur. .

Reply to
Sheldon

I don't care what anyone else calls these composters. The only correct definitions are mine, and there is no possible way to debate that absolute truth.

Get used to it.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

The thing I don't understand (among others) is that my compost heap just disappears into the soil. It is only 1 1/2 feet tall and I never reach the top of it with my kitchen scraps. ?? I think I need to take my kitchen scraps up to the garden this winter and cut out the middle man.

Reply to
Billy

Perhaps there is an issue with terminology, here?

Some people may use, "above ground" to mean one of those rotating contraptions that is suspended above the surface.

While others may use, "above ground" to mean a bin set on the surface, without any bottom, so the stuff has contact.

In the second case, it may be meant as a contrast to digging a pit, and tossing the stuff down to a level that is under the surface level.

Reply to
Usenet2007

"cat daddy" expounded:

Understand that Sheldon has little credibility. As for calling him a two year old, you have insulted all two year olds on the planet.....

Reply to
Ann

I rather like the style of the dalek (Earth-Machine)

just because I am a fan of Dr Who, but I have to admit that the first one Sheldon mentions -
a much longer warrenty.

Right now I have a poorly functioning pile out near my septic tank and mostly all it is doing is drying up in this hot summer. I will put my soilmaker/soilsaver, as it is called,right there where the ground is always a little warm. I would think that would help,especially in the winter since that area is the first to thaw, first to green up. Just as the saying goes, the grass truly is always greener over the septic tank.

Deb

Reply to
thistletoes

My apologies to two year olds worldwide.......... In my defence, I did consider and reject referencing any rodentia, viperids, or parasitoids, however...... Poor things have it hard enough without being associated with a........... well, I'll just leave it at that.

Reply to
cat daddy

Sheldon wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@k79g2000hse.googlegroups.com:

which appears to be your comment...

pot. kettle. black. lee

Reply to
enigma

The message from Sheldon whimpered from his cot

Well, poor little Sheldon baby, I'll just tell you the story one more time then you really will have to lie down in your cot and take a nap.

Once upon a time, Joe, Janet, and various other grown-ups decided to look on the internet, at pictures of different kinds of compost bins, because we wanted to be sure we're all talking about the same thing; and we are. The End.

There now, that wasn't too hard to follow was it? It was? Poor baby. Never mind. Now, you just lie back and suck your thumb.We'll leave the light on so you won't be frightened.

Janet.

Reply to
Janet Baraclough

Sheldon owned. :-)

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

composters:

It doesn't disappear into the soil below. It just shlumps down, with the weight and the moisture.

When I dump stuff in, there is a lot of air inside the volume - it's fluffy. Then, while it sits and decays, it compacts downward due to weight/gravity, and the basic space-efficiency of smaller particles.

Also, the moisture level can go to a sort of equilibrium, towards a more efficient (smaller volume) level. With any excess hopefully draining into the soil below. Although you must be careful to keep a reasonable (not too soggy, not too dry) amount of moisture going in. Including into a full bin that you are allowing to sit without additions.

Think of a mason jar, full of marbles. There will be a lot of air space. But, if the marbles gradually turned to sand, the contents would be more efficient, and would appear to be smaller.

Reply to
Usenet2007

I have another question. I will buy the Soilmaker at

that Sheldon recommended and I have a spot near my septic tank which will be great since it is a bit warmer in the winter. First to thaw, so as the saying goes, the grass is always greener over the septic tank. My question concerns some squash and tomato vines to compost, but we have no grinder or shredder. What would be a recommended way of composting those vines other than cutting into bite-size pieces? How small would we realistically need to cut them or do we need to cut them at all? Can we just just stuff them in the composter and let them cook? Please advise.

Deb :-)

Reply to
thistletoes

Those vines might remain a bit "rope-ish", while other stuff around them composts easily. Dump them back into the composter. Or, get yourself a pair of scissors that'll make it easy to cut the vines. Joyce Chen kitchen scissors are good for this. The same thing is sold at garden centers for twice the price, labeled as florist's scissors.

By the way, I've found the compost mixing tool to be useful. Check the web site - should be twenty of thirty bucks.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Think carefully about where you locate it.

I keep mine near my vegetable garden:

can see where my composter was before I moved it, I wasn't able to mow in those corners when it was up against the fence:
yesterday morning I was awakened by horrific honking, the yearly departure powows have begun:
'll need to be more careful where I step:
's it, fertilize my Crimson King Norway maple:
's why it's called a *copper* leaf weeping beech:
of my girls is being a ham... that bright green thingie in my Jurassic meadow is a befiting dawn redwood:
handsome:

Sheldon