Colorado Potato Beetle

What do I do about them? Is there anything on the market that will kill them off? My little crop of potatoes is infested. Any advice will be appreciated.

Wayne

Reply to
wayne.deloach

I used to spend an hour every day inspecting my plants and squishing CPB. The trick is to find the eggs, orange clusters on the bottom of the leaves, and scrape them off. If you get the eggs there will be no larvae which do most of the damage. It is a time consuming but effective method.

If you choose a chemical solution, Imidan will do the trick. READ THE LABEL!

John

Reply to
John Bachman

My Pop used to plant marigolds around his potato plants. Swore that they repelled the potato bugs. Funny thing is - he never had a problem with the bugs. I did the same thing and it didn't work very well, helped a little, but not much.................yeah, I know - not much help from me there. I have done what John said about the eggs - that works well if you find all the eggs.

Rae

Reply to
Rachael Simpson

Never heard of Imidan but will check it out today. I've been picking the big buggers and what eggs I can find for weeks but yesterday they seemed to be everywhere all of a sudden. what a pest!

Thanks.

Wayne

Reply to
wayne.deloach

Yes, CPB is one of the worst pests. You will not find Imidan in any of the retail stores. You have to go to a pesticide distributor. Not cheap either but it works. READ THE LABEL.

John

Reply to
John Bachman

Yeah, I looked today and couldn't find Imidan anywhere. Found Sevin and it says it will control CPB but I wonder. Didn't buy that but I will tomorrow because I am desperate. They are into the egg plants now.

Wayne

Reply to
wayne.deloach

Here in Australia, I understand Sevin was placed on the banned list many years ago. A google search reveals the likely reason/s:

Carbaryl (Sevin (R)) Suspected animal carcinogen. When given to several species of pregnant animals has also caused defects in their offspring. May cause kidney damage. Causes acute nervous system effects.

Carbaryl is acutely toxic to honeybees and can destroy colonies of bees that are foraging in an area where the chemical has been applied.

Honey on your breakfast toast, anyone?

Reply to
John Savage