?? cobwebs on house plants??

Hi-- I noticed that several of our houseplants have filmy cobwebs -- but they don't look quite like real cobwebs --on some of the stems. Can anyone tell me the cause and the cure? Thanks. vince norris
You have spider mites!!!
Use a miticide to get rid of them!!!
Because they are arachnids, your usual insecticides will not work on them.

My thought exactly! Spider mites! Nasty little buggers and hard to see except for the webs they build. Repeat applications of a mitacide may be needed.
Some plants do not tolerate spays so you should look into a systemic type (Bayer 3 in 1 for Roses would work).
If left go, untreated, the infestation can spread to all of your plants and eventually kill them.
Hemma
Thanks to both of you. I'll get some miticide tomorrow.
vince norris
You can put the plant in the sink or shower and wash it off, doing that three or four times, four days in a row and get them under control. Using insecticidal soap is also as, if not more effective than using a miticide.

Using insecticidal soap will give you the cleanest spider mites in town!!!!!
Spider mites are arachnids not insects.

Yes, but spider mites are listed on the label of insecticidal soap. Probably, the name "insecticidal" is not accurate since this is a mechanical, contact'icide in that it melts the protective exoskeleton and mites die of exposure, as do the other insects it is listed for. At least that's my understanding, which as you know could be incorrect. V
On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 15:34:04 GMT, "Cereus-validus..."

Yeah, that insecticidal soap is supposed to do miracles!!!
I hear you can even use it to clean windows, do the dishes, chase away a rainy day and turn a frown upside-down!!!!! Madge the manicurist told me that!!!! You're soaking in it!!!!!!

Oh hush up, whitey.
On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 21:18:48 GMT, "Cereus-validus..."