Clematis Problem

Hello people, This is my first post so please excuse me if it is not in correct format or is in wrong place !

We moved into our home in August 2009. The garden is not very big, but is very pretty with some lovely plants. A previous owner has obviously loved it and has taken a lot of trouble to choose a really good mix of shrubs, bulbs and perrenials. There is a pergola which has several Clematis growing over it. From the labels left on the plants they are all identified as winter flowering evergreens. The problem is, the flowers are really insignificant and the plants have completely swamped the pergola. We are at a loss as to what to to for the best. They have obviously been there for several years as the stems are really thick and intertwined and it would be really difficult separating them to prune.

Should we bite the bullet and cut the whole lot down so we can plant some of our choosing ? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

regards to all

Reply to
sundays child

It isn't clear to my what the question is. Why is a climber 'swamping' the pergola so bad?

If you do you not like the plant get rid of it. If in your mind's eye something else will look much better and suit your use of the space then give it the chop.

You don't say where you are so I am going to guess you have just had winter and are now into spring. Did your clematis bloom in winter like the label said? If not when?

Has the spring growth started yet? If not and assuming it has just flowered, how about pruning it now and see what happens next year. Pruning is likely to improve flowering, you may end up liking it.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

I know one is eager to get involved, but I think it would be prudent to live there for a whole year to see what comes up before making any major changes. Someone who bought my house in August might think they had a few roses in some beds and some ferns in the corner of the garden. Only next year would they know the rose beds are full of daffodils and jonquils, and the fern is a nice asparagus patch. You don't yet know what the clemantis will look like in the coming months.

Reply to
Not