clematis and alkaline soil

Dear Group, On a gardening show the host said clematis likes alkaline soil so he threw in a handful of crushed dolomite with the soil before planting. However a box of fertilizer we bought especially made for clematis contains sulfur which is normally used to make the soil acidic. Do you have any ideas whether clematis likes alkaline or acidic soil? Thanks for your comments anton
I don't know, but at my previous house, the pH hovered between 5 and 6 around the clematis, and the plant kept trying to eat the entire garage. I get the feeling there's a "happy range", not a precise need.

contains
My clematis (I have three varieties) are growing exceptionally well in acidic soil. I used compost mixed in with the soil when I planted them 4 years ago, and I topdress with compost every year.
On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 18:31:54 -0400, "anton jopko"