Clematis advice?

Hi,
I bought two pairs of clematis last year - viticella and andromeda. Both the viticella are growing up the trellis I installed very nicely and I have lovely red flowers on both. The andromedas are both flowering (large pink flowers) but only one shows any signs of climbing (by throwing one shoot up the trellis) which has now flowered. The other is just 'bunched' and stands no more than a foot high. Neither of the andromeda look like climbing as the viticella have - any ideas or advice gratefully received
Thanks
--
Ray Jackson

Ray Jackson wrote:

sometimes you can help it along by gently moving vines closer to the trellis so that as it searches for support it will find it easier.
or it could just be that it will take longer for this plant to be established well enough to support more vines. we have several plants here that have taken a while to get enough root system to put much growth up top (and a few had roots eaten by voles).
sometimes it may be the initial root ball in the pot wasn't very good and it will take a few years for the plant to expand it's supporting roots into the surrounding soil...
songbird
Thanks songbird I will try to be patient and try to encourage the plant up the trellis
Ray
Hi,
I bought two pairs of clematis last year - viticella and andromeda. Both
the viticella are growing up the trellis I installed very nicely and I have lovely red flowers on both. The andromedas are both flowering (large pink flowers) but only one shows any signs of climbing (by throwing one shoot up the trellis) which has now flowered. The other is
just 'bunched' and stands no more than a foot high. Neither of the andromeda look like climbing as the viticella have - any ideas or advice
gratefully received[/i][/color]
sometimes you can help it along by gently moving vines closer to the trellis so that as it searches for support it will find it easier.
or it could just be that it will take longer for this plant to be established well enough to support more vines. we have several plants here that have taken a while to get enough root system to put much growth up top (and a few had roots eaten by voles).
sometimes it may be the initial root ball in the pot wasn't very good and it will take a few years for the plant to expand it's supporting roots into the surrounding soil...
songbird
--
Ray Jackson

Ray Jackson wrote:

good luck, if it gets really hot and dry where you are at make sure it gets water and the roots are kept cool (mulch).
songbird