Clematis advice?

Hi,

I bought two pairs of clematis last year - viticella and andromeda. Both the viticella are growing up the trellis I installed very nicely and I have lovely red flowers on both. The andromedas are both flowering (large pink flowers) but only one shows any signs of climbing (by throwing one shoot up the trellis) which has now flowered. The other is just 'bunched' and stands no more than a foot high. Neither of the andromeda look like climbing as the viticella have - any ideas or advice gratefully received

Thanks

Reply to
Ray Jackson

sometimes you can help it along by gently moving vines closer to the trellis so that as it searches for support it will find it easier.

or it could just be that it will take longer for this plant to be established well enough to support more vines. we have several plants here that have taken a while to get enough root system to put much growth up top (and a few had roots eaten by voles).

sometimes it may be the initial root ball in the pot wasn't very good and it will take a few years for the plant to expand it's supporting roots into the surrounding soil...

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Thanks songbird I will try to be patient and try to encourage the plant up the trellis

Ray

Hi,

I bought two pairs of clematis last year - viticella and andromeda. Both

the viticella are growing up the trellis I installed very nicely and I have lovely red flowers on both. The andromedas are both flowering (large pink flowers) but only one shows any signs of climbing (by throwing one shoot up the trellis) which has now flowered. The other is

just 'bunched' and stands no more than a foot high. Neither of the andromeda look like climbing as the viticella have - any ideas or advice

gratefully received[/i][/color]

sometimes you can help it along by gently moving vines closer to the trellis so that as it searches for support it will find it easier.

or it could just be that it will take longer for this plant to be established well enough to support more vines. we have several plants here that have taken a while to get enough root system to put much growth up top (and a few had roots eaten by voles).

sometimes it may be the initial root ball in the pot wasn't very good and it will take a few years for the plant to expand it's supporting roots into the surrounding soil...

songbird

Reply to
Ray Jackson

good luck, if it gets really hot and dry where you are at make sure it gets water and the roots are kept cool (mulch).

songbird

Reply to
songbird