Christmas cactus not budding

I have 2 20+ year old Christmas Cactus. They should be budding by now but nothing in sight. What should I do?
--
Steve Glines

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice, but in

Have more patience. Cool temps and no extra light helps. My Thanskgiving cactus is in full bloom, but one Christmas cactus has no buds yet and the other one (a different variety and smaller, younger) is just now setting buds for the first time since I took the orginal slip two years ago. I love these plants!

I'd agree with that.
I had my cc outside as it's still been in the 80s recently. Then as soon as the temp dropped several degrees, it developed buds all over - which I was thrilled at as it was a largish cutting that was only potted a couple of months ago! Have brought it inside as it's too cold at night now. Keeping watering to an absolute minimum, out of draughts with access to natural light. The longer nights seem to be doing the trick and the buds are developing at a healthy pace. Looks like it's gonna be bright pink :-)
Um, where's that page I found that was useful... here it is; http://www.fernlea.com/xmas/cactinfo.htm I love this site. -- Lynda
On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 12:58:09 -0500, Phisherman wrote:

Me too! I just bought a 6" white one!
On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 12:15:01 -0500, Steve Glines wrote:

Give it cooler temps. I put mine down by the floor where it's cooler and they are all budding and about to bloom.
Christmas cactus, like chrysanthemums, responds to day length (actually, night length) along with cooler temperatures.. If you can, put your cactus out for a summer vacation as soon as the weather permits, in a shady area. Leave it there as long as you can, until weather gets cold, then bring it in to a cool area where it will get natural light but no artificial light at night. The lengthening nights, cooler temps, and less watering will initiate budding. When you bring it into the warmer house to admire the flowers, if you can keep it cool, the flowers will last longer. If you can't give it a vacation outdoors, keep it in a room which gets natural light only, but no light at night, starting in August, water it sparingly and keep it cool as possible. Good luck! Wendy (not Joe - he's the Under Gardener, the muscle, the lawnmower)
Steve Glines wrote:

--
Joseph S. Larson
27 Arnold Road