Christmas Cactus

Hi,

Last year my Christmas Cactus did nothing before Christmas. I put it in the dark for a while. It finally flowered with a few flowers but nothing to speak about. It was in February.

This year, I did nothing. I just noted that it has some flowers and a lot of buds. No branches are without a bud. It will be gorgeous soon. I guess all the flowers will be gone at Christmas time though. Ah well.

Fran=E7oise.

Reply to
Françoise

I find they need cooler temperatures more than darkness. Mine are setting buds right now. I put them closer to the floor where it's cooler and bam, new flower buds.

Reply to
Tom Randy

You obviously haven't noticed that the days have already gotten shorter regardless of any intervention on your part.

Reply to
Cereoid-UR12-

the precise info you need to know.

Reply to
animaux

Ummm, yes I have actually. Thanks for asking. Total darkness is not needed to get these to bloom. IMHO it's cooler temps that does it.

Your results may vary. Batteries not included, close cover before striking, apply to infected area only.

Reply to
Tom Randy

Not asking a neophyte like you, I'm telling you.

You opinion doesn't count even though you are the one lost in total darkness.

You need to change your batteries. You kept picking at it and now you've gotten it infected.

Reply to
Cereoid-UR12-

Mine, which was blooming beautifully when I bought it last Christmas, is blooming now. darn it.

Last year my Christmas Cactus did nothing before Christmas. I put it in the dark for a while. It finally flowered with a few flowers but nothing to speak about. It was in February.

This year, I did nothing. I just noted that it has some flowers and a lot of buds. No branches are without a bud. It will be gorgeous soon. I guess all the flowers will be gone at Christmas time though. Ah well.

Françoise.

Reply to
pixi

Pixi,

When I was a little girl, my mother had one and every year; it would star= t blooming 2 weeks or so before Christmas. When the first bud appeared my mother used to say: "It is time to start preparing for Christmas". I was really puzzled at the time; how could a plant know Christmas was coming. = She kept this Christmas cactus for years.

Fran=E7oise

pixi wrote:

Reply to
Françoise