Christmas cactus

I started a CC in December from a piece that fell off of my MIL's plant. It was growing nicely under fluorescent lights, and I repotted it about a month ago and moved it to my desk at work, right by an east-facing window and the lights are always off at night. I wanted it to be able to tell the day lengths.
I thought it should be going dormant now that the days are getting noticably shorter, but instead it's growing like crazy. At least a dozen new leaves in the past 2 weeks, and I see new ones starting to bud.
Hers was blooming at Thanksgiving; mine could be several weeks before or after that 'cause I'm hundreds of miles farther north.
Maybe the dormancy period is shorter than I think? And it doesn't start until after the equinox? I've never grown one of these before. (I had no idea they grow so fast)
Bob

There are several varieties: http://whittongreenhouses.com/variety.htm http://web.extension.illinois.edu/state/newsdetail.cfm?NewsID 70

Dormancy?
I have 3 of them in a north facing window. They start blooming around Thanksgiving, end up around May. (I'm in central NJ.)
When I kept them in a south facing window they would bloom all at once, the plant covered in flowers. I think I like them blooming all winter. I turn the plant to see the flowers and another side starts blooming. I like that a lot.
As for going dormant, I never really noticed any dormant period. They put out buds and get bigger all the time they are not blooming.
--
Dan Espen

Dan Espen wrote:

Okay, I'm worrying for nothing. :) I read somewhere that they go dormant for a while (and you stop watering) before the flower buds start. Thanks!
Bob

That does sound familiar, hang around and see if anyone else agrees. I don't stop watering and the plants are doing fine. I do let them get pretty dry between waterings year round.
--
Dan Espen