Cherry Tree Care

I planted a cherry tree this past spring and I'm wondering about proper care for it. At planting time, I cut it back by a third, forming a nice vase shape. During the following months, one branch shot straight up five feet, the rest showed only modest growth. I'm wondering if I should prune this one branch so some of the tree's energy can go to the rest of the branches?
Also, does a cherry need a fall application of fertilizer or dormant spray or anything to ensure a healthy tree?
Thanks in advance.
-Fleemo
prune in late winter early spring when/where you want growth, prune in late summer where you dont want growth. so you need to cut the tips of branches you dont want to get any longer ... and keep tipping all summer. dont fert after July or so or you get soft growth (you dont say where you are zonewise). you can always give the tree a shot of dormant oil to smother pests, but if you live where it is cold it is a good idea to paint the trunk and then put screening around the base to keep the rabbits and mice from chewing the bark. I staple the screening to itself (not the trunk) and it is easy to spray thru the screening. Ingrid
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at http://weloveteaching.com/puregold / sign up: http://list.lovemyoldhome.com/web/wa.cgi?REPORT&z=3 www.drsolo.com Solve the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the recommendations I make. AND I DID NOT AUTHORIZE ADS AT THE OLD PUREGOLD SITE
Thanks for responding, Ingrid.
Sorry, I failed to mention I'm in Zone 9. Do you think it'd be too late to prune the Wilt Chamberlain branch right now (where we're having unseasonably warm weather (highs in the 70's!)?
-Fleemo
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net Wrote:

I have no idea on your zone stuff in the USA, but in the UK you shoul never prune a fruit tree during winter, or even early spring if mor frost is likely. The reason is silver leaf fungus, the spores are about in the col times, any open wound (cut) is an easy entry point for the funga infection. It would be worth some web searching to see if silver leaf is in you area
-- penance
any time is good!! in zone 9. Ingrid