Can you identify these young trees?

We have a seedling coming up in a pot, it is now about 3 inches tall. Unfortunately we can't remember which seed it was. Photo:

is a similar looking young tree outside, about 14 inches tall
are thinking they might be Bing cherries. Anyone familiar with those? Thanks

Reply to
ncstockguy

If you plant the pit of a Bing cherry, you'll get something. Odds are about 50,0000:1 that "anything" and "worth something" will be the same, but it's a lot better odds than the lottery, if you have the time and space.

Bing is a specific variety (that will not come true from seed) of the generic "sweet cherry". I'm not sure how wide the variance really is for seedling cherry, but certainly in apples, most seedlings result in fruit that does not taste very appealing - which is why specific varieties are selected and cloned - typically by grafting or budding, less commonly by layering. Newfangled tissue culture would be another option.

The pictures you show - the outside one might be a cherry (or a plum, or an apricot - all prunus look pretty similar) the one in the pot does not

- the leaves are too smooth-edged and blunt-tipped.

Reply to
Ecnerwal

Never heard of 'bing cherry' but looks like a 'sweet bay' to me (Laurus nobilis).

Lannerman.

Reply to
lannerman

Bing Cherry is probably the most popular fresh cherry sold in the US.

Brooklyn1

Later on I may plant some more bing cherry seeds to see if those seedlings look the same. Not interested in growing bings from seed, for obvious hybrid reasons. It could be something besides a cherry but that's the direction I'm leaning for now.

Reply to
ncstockguy

The young tree outside does indeed appear to be a cherry of some sort (probably choke cherry if you are indeed in NC). The inside plant is very different. Notice the edge of the leaf, the outside leaf is serrate, the plant in the pot is smooth. All Prunus (cherry, plum,peach,apricot, etc., etc...)species that I'm aware of have serrate edged leaves. IMHO the plant in the pot looks a bit like bay laurel. HTH, Steve

Reply to
Steve Peek