Can plants be grafted upside down?

I told my father that some of his "rare" plants are nothing more than normal ones with the top section removed and then grafted back upside down.
He is giving me an argument and attitude over this.
Can someone tell me how to convince him?
Regards

normal
Try it for yourself and see if it works.
On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 11:52:10 +1100, Peter Jason wrote:

Never argue with dad. Life's too short.
Peter Jason wrote:

Find a horticultural text or reference book. In it you should see a description of dwarfing certain varieties of fruit trees by doing something similar to what you describe. A section of trunk -- just 2-4 inches depending on the tree -- is cut out, turned over and grafted back onto the roots with the top grafted back onto the inverted section. This is not quite as effective as grafting onto a partially incompatible root stock. Thus, the top will grow more than most dwarf trees.
--

David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/

normal
On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 20:04:16 GMT, "Cereus-validus"

Very rude

I have seen little trees that look very much to me to be just as you described.........a piece was cut off and grafted on upside-down. In fact there is one in my back yard that the previous owners put in. Actually two; on one of them the grafted part died off. It was some kind of willow. New willow shoots came out from the bottom and now there is a small tree or a very large bush, can't tell what it will be yet.
Joe Ontario
You are a total Canucklehead, Joe Blough.
Why you even humor such a ridiculous question is beyond being taken seriously.
Should we just pat you on the head and laugh at you behind yor back or would you rather know you are being foolish?
Maybe somebody ought to graft you upside-down just to see what happens?
Upside-down grafts never take. If you knew anything at all about plants you would know why. Maybe you will be the exception?

bah, you're both wrong. Most likely your rare plants are normal ones with the "top" section removed and grafted back downside up. Most of the plants in Australia need this done, but few people bother to do so.

plants
The reason that we don't bother is that bunyips do the grafting at night, the best of the grafted progeny are presented as gifts to the prospective mate of the bunyip. Sadly bunyips pine and waste away if removed from the region of their birth as they must return to their ancestral swamp to conduct these rituals. The noise of the mating will often carry for miles as they dispute which of them will be, er, umm, well downside up as you put it. This is why such grafting is unknown in the USA.
David

with
Are you suggesting I do the grafting at night, wearing a bunyip suit ...?

put
Why not post some photos and let us see them?
chaz

normal

Dunno about grafting, but some plants are particular about which direction they go into the dirt for rooting. If you take grape cuttings, they're from the past summer's wood, 3 joints long, but you better remember which end is toward the growing tip and which tip is to the ground. If you put them in the ground wrong way 'round, they're not growing.
I would think some plants' vascular systems are kind of uni-directional like that.
Janice