Can I grow orchid Cymbidium in an office without window?

Dear Experts,

I just bought a 6" orchid cymbidium in HD. It looks lovely with 3 stalks of buds! I put it in my office on top of the pebble tray. I guess this takes care of the humidity issue. My office temperature is constant at 65F but I can adjust if necessary. My office does not have a window but I will have the lights on for about 10 hours for weekdays. I plan to feed it with MicroGro Azalea Camellia... food every other week, 1 tsp per gallon concentration.

Are all the above humidity + temperature + light + feed condition good enough for cymbidium to happily flower in my office? This is my first year to gardening. Very anxious and excited!

Thanks for any advice!

Tiff

Reply to
Frank

Enjoy it in your office while it's in bloom, but it will need much more light to grow and rebloom again.

deg

Reply to
Dewitt

Don't allow the bottom of the pot to remain in contact with water in the saucer - make sure the pebbles are deep enough to prevent this. I'd mist the foliage (avoid the blossoms) daily also - that environment is just too dry for it and might also be a bit on the cool side. Get a good orchid fertilizer instead of making do with the Miracid and follow the label directions.

I'd consider it a just a long lasting cut flower - cymbidiums are unlikley to thrive in that environment and are difficult to get to rebloom.

pam - gardengal

Reply to
Pam - gardengal

No.

Cymbidiums require much more light than you can provide.

Water it, but forget about feeding it until you can get it outside after it finishes blooming. Then use fertilizer especially formulated for orchids.

It might struggle along for a while under your conditions, but it will neither thrive nor re-bloom.

J. Del Col

Reply to
J. Del Col

After two frosts, my gardener took it in and it is now in full boom!!!! I know that they like cold weather , but frosts??? However, I am enjoying it. Marion

Reply to
Marion Margoshes

Some cymbidiums can do well in low light, if it seems to be fading, take it home and get an oncidium for your office. Those things grow like weeds. I have a 'Sharry Baby' that sits several feet from a north window, often unwatered and still gives me an annual spray of chocolate scented flowers.

Reply to
Pen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Unfortunately, I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the endorsements or recommendations I make.

Reply to
dr-solo

The original poster explicitly stated that his office has no windows.

J. Del Col

Reply to
J. Del Col