cabbage slugs & worms

harvesting my cabbage to make some sauerkraut. Finding earthworms and some slugs deep inside of cabbage........removing layers of leaves and keep finding them or there dung deposits.
I planted some cabbage in spring & harvested it in July. That cabbage had some problems but not as bad as the cabbage i am working with now. I have tried 3 or 4 diffrent types of white cabbage over the last couple years, and the earthworms/slugs are a consistant problem. I have spray with BT occasionally over the last couple of months to control the cabbage worms but does not help with slugs and earthworms.

Are you sure they're earthworms, I can't imagine earthworms invading live cabbage plants. I plant cabbage every year and have no insect/slug problems, used to have rabbits and field mice helping themselves but ever since I began caring for feral cats there are no more rodents/rabbits. I use no chemicals. In fact I've been harvesting cabbages, picked a seven pounder today, it was sliced into eight wedges, stuffed into a pot with an inch of salted water, and it's simmering right now. I even stole some of the center part to eat as cook's treat, so sweet. Where are you located, nights are too cool here in the Catskills now for insects/slugs.
have had this problem every year I grow cabbage, I don't see them in the red cabbage, white cabbage is what I have a problem with. They sure look like earthworms, they are small ones however. I live in central Michigan. Next cabbage I cut open, I will post some pictures............probably next week.
buckwheat wrote:

Slugs take refuge in such plants, they don't eat them.
--
David

On 2015-09-18 23:16:43 +0000, David Hare-Scott said:

Sure they do!