Budleja

I have two budleja's in my garden; one white & one lilac,they are both in flower at the moment but the white ones seems in distress, as all the flower heads are hanging as if in need of water,but I know this is not the case, any suggestions would be appreciated, Thanks JD.
>but the white ones seems in distress, as all >the flower heads are hanging as if in need of >water,
Most of the buddleia I've seen (at least the older ones, with large flowers) seem to 'droop' over, at least as far as bending in the middle. If the leaves look fine (not limp and drooping), I would tend to think that it's not necessarily in distress, just that the weight of the flower is causing the drooping.
Tracey

Is budleja the same as buddleia? Butterfly bushes certainly do droop naturally, but they can also be harmed by over watering. I next-to-never water mine & it looks great. I've used a bamboo pole to help train a "leader" so that it is developing a trunk, & becoming more upright than most butterfly bushes, since I also remove the lowermost floppy branches. Without SOME training they'll end up floppy octopi.
-paghat the ratgirl
>Is budleja the same as buddleia?
That's what I was assuming. :)
Tracey

Yes, Tracey it is the one and same. JD

There is a variety that does flop quite a bit and it is usually white if my memory serves me correctly. Colleen zone 5 Connecticut
I planted some in a school habitat. Training the strongest leaders upright with support and cutting off the smaller, lower ones is the way to do this. As noted, do not over-water.
James Duff wrote:

--

J. Kolenovsky
Common butterfly bush (Buddleia davidii) responds very well to heavy annual pruning by producing fewer, but larger, blooms. Cut back one-third of the oldest stems or prune all stems to within 8 in. of the ground, especially if winter dieback occurs.
James Duff wrote:

--

J. Kolenovsky, A+, Network +, MCP

Piggy-backing on this thread: I was about to query the NG re: SECOND BLOOM
I am in So Calif coastal. I did prune my Buddleia after it finished blooming in about May-June -- lost track exactly when.
Now it is blooming again.
Anyone else in this Zone, what has been your experience?
Thanks.
--
Persephone