brown lawn

In April my lawn looked like a green healthy carpet. I'm using the Scott plan and put down the turf builder and also grub control.

For the last several months my lawn has large areas of brown dry spots. Can anyone help me with what caused the significant change from a good looking lawn to the current one? I appreciate your advice.

Josie

Reply to
J. M. Russo

You don't say where you are but it sounds like one of two common lawn funguses - either Summer Patch or Brown Patch. Both thrive in hot, humid weather. Do a search on them to learn more. You should be able to treat them with a lawn fungicide like Bayer Advanced Fungus Control for Lawns. As with all products you apply to your lawn, read the instructions and apply as indicated. By the way, and again you didn't specify your location or grass type, applying nitrogen to fescue lawns after Feb/March (as Scott's recommends) greatly increases the chances of fungus/disease problems. Nitrogen should be applied in Feb/March, Sept, and November - never in late spring or summer.

Reply to
NoName

Where are you, what's the weather been like, and what chemicals have you put down, and at what rate? What species are in your lawn?

Have you lifted chunks of sod from both dry and green areas to see what differences you can see in root structure, soil type, species composition?

Reply to
Kay Lancaster

Thank you for your very useful information. I am in northern New Jersey and I believe the grass is bluegrass. Your advice is very helpful and I will look into all thee suggestions.

Thank you. Josie

Reply to
J. M. Russo