Broken Tree Fixable?

Hi,
Last week's snow storm broke the top of a pine tree that has some sentimental value. The top is not completely off, just bent down. Is it possible to fix it? How?
Thanks, Gary
On 11/7/11 10:35 AM, Gary Brown wrote:

first, I feel your pain.
second - is it still held down by snow or other branches? If so, GENTLY loosen it from what ever is holding down.
Time is on your side. Give it until spring, I think it will recover. Or just decide it's a "weeping pine". That's my solution to one in my back yard.
"Gary Brown" wrote:

What kind of pine tree, and are you sure it's pine and not some other conifer... usually when people don't know what conifer they call all pine. A picture would help greatly. If the leader is badly fractured it may be best to just lop it off... however usually with conifers a new leader will develop on its own anyway. I wouldn't make any decisions or do anything until you see what occurs come spring... a leader would be very supple/springy, can easily heal itself so that in a year or two you'd not be able to find the damaged spot.
"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message

Here are some pictures
http://webpages.charter.net/garyjbrown/Tree/TegansTree.htm
Note the top is still connected. I had assumed trees grew from the top and once it broke off that was it unless the top was grafted back on. The responses suggest that is not the case.
This was a potted Christmas tree for our daughter when she was about 3. It was almost dead when I planted it and nursed it back to health. That was 22 years ago. I've fed it sporadically and watched it grow to about 25 ft.
Thanks, Gary
On Wed, 9 Nov 2011 15:12:31 -0500, "Gary Brown"

I'd saw it off just below the break and hope for the best, it might generate a new leader. But I have to tell you, that poor tree is growing in so awful a spot that it barely has a chance of ever looking better than it does now.... it's in the woods, without benefit of light or space to grow... I'm surprised it hadn't died years ago. You'd do that tree a big favor by clearing out all the growth around it, or simply plant a new tree in a better place.
On 11/9/11 3:12 PM, Gary Brown wrote:

that's a snap, not a bend... don't know what to tell you.

If the wood is broken, take it off just below the break and a new leader will establish with most conifers. If you get multiple leaders forming, select one and prune out the rest.
If it's just bent over, do what you can to get the rest of the snow knocked off and try to keep it knocked off this winter and it'll probably be just fine. If you can't get and keep the snow off, it'll still probably be just fine, depending on the species, though you may have to do some remedial pruning in the coming years: www.mttreefarm.org/Forestry-Tips/storm.pdf
But right now, except for trying to knock more snow load off when possible, you're basically in wait and see mode till next spring.
Same basic advice as I gave Cheryl... if this is an important tree, and you don't know what to do, consider a consulting arborist.
Kay