Botanical and Cultural Images of Eastern Asia, 1907-1927

15. Botanical and Cultural Images of Eastern Asia, 1907-1927
<http://www.arboretum.harvard.edu/programs/eastern_asia/overview.html
In the library section of their website, the Arnold Arboretum of Harvard University shows off their digitized collection of eastern Asian photographs taken by plant explorers and collectors from the early 20th century. On the homepage visitors can learn the names of the plant explorers by rolling over the photos under the heading "Meet the explorers".
Once visitors have chosen an explorer they would like to learn more about, they can click on their photo, to be taken to a brief biography of the explorer.
Additionally, visitors can view a gallery of the explorer's images, or search the database for the explorer's images. For visitors interested in viewing the photographs by category of image, they can click on one of the photos under the heading "See What they Saw", to view images of "Magnificent Trees", "Buildings and Bridges", "Daily Life", or "Landscapes". Each one of the categories is further divided into subcategories, which can be seen after clicking on one of the aforementioned images. Some of the subcategories include "Boats" and "Farms" in "Landscapes"; "Food" and "Baskets" in "Daily Life"; and "Pagodas" and "Shrines" in "Buildings and Bridges". [KMG]
From The Scout Report, Copyright Internet Scout 1994-2009. http://scout.wisc.edu /
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Nice....very nice
Charlie

The explorer Wilson name shows up on some of my plants. Deciduous Azaleas in particular. Kind of neat to see what they saw. This site got me thinking about who made my perennial garden richer.
Also reminds me of the Book we spoke of in the past here. "China at work" by Rudolf Hommel. Due to the large format images.
Best
Bill who has a friend who had a 8X10 view camera stolen in Mexico 30 years ago. :((
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA