black hills spruce

I have beautiful black hills spruce that is about 60 feet high,over 20 yrs old,I noticed some of the branches are turned brown ,all in the inner part of the tree,the out side seems fine.I live in Wisconsin,should I be concerned about this. thanks.

Reply to
pacca

It's difficult to say without pictures. This time of year spruce tends to shed inner needles, first they brown and then drop... the tree should rejuvenate in spring with new growth at its outer perimeter. Older conifers tend not to stay green at their inner portions due to the outer portion blocking light. I'd say that your tree has become mature, it is no longer a juvenile. If there are other trees impinging your spruce will lose more needles more quickly... in a forest it would be bare except for its crown. There's probably nothing to be concerned about, have patience till spring. Sixty feet is pretty spectacular growth for a 20 year old black hills spruce, they tend to have a slow/medium growth rate.

Brooklyn1

pacca schrieb:

yes you should.

Reply to
Hunky Farrel

Reply to
Hunky Farrel

Why?

David Hare-Scott

because ignoring the brown branches might be a mistake.

Reply to
Hunky Farrel