Best varieties of kale and best Romaine for cold northern climates in Autumn?

I live in a cold, cold, area of upstate New York, near BUffalo.
What do you find are the best varieties of kale and Romaine lettuce, particularly Romaine that withstands frosts?
Thanks a lot.

My candidates are: Redbor Kale, which actually gets sweeter after a good frost, and Winter Density Romaine type lettuce.
Regards, Bill

Get seed catalogs from Pinetree Seeds, Johnny's Seeds, Vermont Bean Seed Co. and others in New England, and you'll find wonderful short-season varieties. Lots of Alaskans order seeds from those companies.
We grow a red Russian kale up here that thrives. We kick the snow off of it and harvest it.
If you can ever get to the beach after a good windstorm, haul every bit of seaweed you can carry home, and just lay in on your garden beds (in the off-season). Seaweed lowers the temps that frost will hurt/kill your plants. I don't know why, but it works. Or use those seaweed fertilizers that you can buy on your plants.
And there's always Remay and PVC pipe half-hoop frames...
Jan in Alaska USDA Zone 3/4, depending on who you ask