Best shade tree for So-Cal (zone 9 or 10)

Hi guys/gals,
I don't know much about zoning (or trees) but I looked up my area and it is a zone 9 or 10 in socal. I was hoping to plant a fruitless mulberry tree because of the fast growing and massive shade it can create, but I don't think it will make it in this zone. I love this tree because my grand parents had one, and I have great memories playing under it, noty too mention trying to climb it. LOL.
Do you think this tree can make it here, or shall I look at other kinds? What other trees should I look for that are fast growing and create great shade?
Thanks all!
On 8/24/2007 10:28 AM, ULB wrote:

Near what city are you?
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean

They do well here. If you don't have a copy of Sunset Gardens "Western Gardens" book, run, don't walk, to the nearest store and get one. Or look in the library, they should have a copy. Lots of information about trees and other things. Consider where you are going to plant it, how disruptive the roots will be, that sort of thing.
Ficus microcarpa makes good shade, it also breaks up sidewalks and driveways. Pepper trees are nice if you have the room, they get messy and kill other plants near them. I just got an Albizia julibrissin, because I like them. I'm in So Cal, zone 9.
When you find the right tree keep in mind these common problems
--
Many tree problems are associated with the following: They are Case
Sensitive.

Hong Kong Orchid -- (Bauhinia blakeana) Royal poinciana
Another good semi-tropical shade tree is a Mahogany.
For the HK Orchid, make sure you get the Bauhinia blakeana, which is a sterile hybrid and has no seed pods. Other varieties of Bauhinia have similar blossoms but leave a lot of seed pod litter.
The Royal Poinciana needs a lot of space because it becomes a big tree.
In our present house we have a poinciana along the lake seawall, and have planted orchids in the crotches of the tree -- including a Vanda terrete that has grown to be almost 10' tall. We also have two HK Orchids, which we keep pruned to a nice umbrella shape and which are suitable for a smaller yard. Regards --

Thank you all for the replies. You guys are great! I will definately do some reading now. Take care,