Groundcover in So Cal

I live in Riverside, California (halfway between Los Angeles and Palm Springs).

In the front of my house, I have a 30' by 20' garden containing about a dozen roses and other shrubs.

Years ago, I planted gazanias as a groundcover but they now unattractively thin, lanking and gangly.

I'd like to replace the gazanias with an attractive groundcover that flowers more-or-less continuously.

There won't be any foot traffic but I want a low-growing ground cover that won't overwhelm the shrubs in my garden and that will prevent the weeds.

Reply to
gary

Consider pink clover (Persicaria capitata). In my garden, it seems to bloom all year round, even after being nipped by frost. However, it can be invasive. Read about it in Sunset's "Western Garden Book".

Reply to
David E. Ross

On 7 Jan 2007 16:20:55 -0800 in , "gary" graced the world with this thought:

African daisies? Baby iceplant?

Reply to
bizbee

African daisies aren't really low-growing.

Reply to
Persephone

On Mon, 08 Jan 2007 16:52:05 -0800 in , Persephone graced the world with this thought:

Not sure how "low" is meant here... the ones around my house never get more than a foot deep, but that's a lot more than something like lichen...

Reply to
bizbee

A foot seems deep-ish for ground cover. However...de gustibus...

I like Campanula. Has pretty blue flowers. Stays low.

Persephone

Reply to
Persephone