best grass for few mowings?

The front yard of our new place had 2 medium-small trees, stony topsoil (subsoil, really) with lots of pebbles, and the sparsest looking front lawn that I've ever seen.

Trees are coming out by midsummer. There are so many weeds, crabgrass and other junk out there that I'm probably going to roundup it all, add some topsoil, & start over this fall.

However, I'm not certain what variety to plant. I live in SW Ohio area, and am mostly desiring something that doesn't need a lot of water, or mowing regularly. I don't tend to water or fertilize my lawn. I just want it to grow slow and not look like the worst lawn on the block.

Can anyone recommend a variety that is short, slow growing, and maybe doesn't require all that much water? Thanks!

Reply to
Ohioguy

For your location Kentucky Bluegrass grows well in your area. But, forget about having a "nice" lawn without doing regular work (mowing, weed control, fertilizing, watering, soil testing, etc.) Buy the best seed you can find and with the highest weed-free percentage. Fertilize in the fall and treat weeds in spring. Overseeding every year will reduce the weeds, a lot.

Reply to
Phisherman

Artificial Turf. No watering, fertilizing, mowing, weeding and looks nice and green in the winter. Also goes well with felt flowers in the outside hanging pots and looks great in the middle of winter.

Reply to
Dan L.