Beginner asks: When to plant?

Hello,

Different plants need to get into the ground at different times. But let's assume that I don't want to plant on 16 different dates, for each plant's optimum planting time. So, roughly speaking, how do I know when I should plant spring flowers?

One time a couple of years ago, I called the weather forecaster at the local TV station and asked him when he's going to plant.

What do you advise?

Thank you,

Ted Shoemaker Grey thumb

Madison, Wisconsin, US "typical" last frost date: May 13

43 deg 8' 26" North Latitude 89 deg 18' 28" West Longitude

USDA zone 4/5 AHS heat zone 4/5 Sunset zone 43

Reply to
Ted Shoemaker

You answered your own question!

Read your post again carefully, near the end....

Reply to
Tom Randy

I¹d add it is better to be a bit too late than a bit too early. Yet another reason to grow perennials as they seem to know all about it intimately.

Bill

Reply to
William Wagner

Most nursuries stock plants that can be planted right away. If the nursury stocks plants outdoors, its a safe bet you can plant as soon as they are in stock especially if they have a guarantee (wouldn't do much good to sell plants they know will die). If you are buying from a greenhouse, tiz no problem to ask the staff.

Reply to
AutoTracer