Beech hedge

Hi all, I've just planted beech trees for hedging in a double staggered row, they are around 4ft tall at present. I would like the final height to be around 6ft. Did I read somewhere I need to remove the top leading bud from the plants or should I leave them untill the desired height of 6ft is reached before cutting?
--
Floss

On 18/11/2015 7:02 AM, Floss wrote:

The way to train a hedge is to always cut it back form the time it is tiny and just gradually let it grow a bit higher each time. The action of cutting it back on top and sides makes it thicken up ad not shoot up and look thin.
But for real info on beech hedges, yuo might be better off asking your question in uk.rec.gardening which is the newsgroup that specifically covers UK gardening rather than this newsgroup that is more international in nature.