Bee Friendly Gardening

I'm taking part in a sustainable initiative that wants to help save bees in London. We would really appreciate some information from people interested in gardenening to help push our project forward and make it as good as it can be. Here are a few questions:
Would you plant bee friendly plants? Do you know how to make your garden bee friendly?
Do you use any technology as an information source to help you in your garden?
How do you feel about using mobile technology to help you while you are in the garden?
Would you feel motivated to garden bee-friendly plants if you get discount on honey from local producers?
Please answer as many or as little questions as you'd like. Any contribution would be very much appreciated! Thank you.
--
lcc_student

Add pictures here
✖
On Feb 20, 7:15 am, lcc_student <lcc_student.

Good show! We BADLY need to save bees wherever. Hostile conditions, such as pesticides and much more, are worrying not only home gardeners but commercial ones as well (and that includes small organic/non-organic farmers).
The only one of your questions that I feel qualified to answer is: YES, I would plant bee-friendly plants, and I THINK I know how to make garden bee-friendly.
HB
Add pictures here
✖
On 2/20/12 7:15 AM, lcc_student wrote:

I already have plants that are bee-friendly: rosemary, Persicaria, lavender, citrus, and others. Many of these will not survive the climate in the UK.

I use this newsgroup and the Web.

Given the mud and moisture found in my garden, I would definitely NOT bring a smart phone with me while gardening. Sometimes, when my wife is not home, I bring out a cordless phone (land-line); I place it away from where I am working and wipe my hands before answering.

No. I prefer "varietal" honeys, that is honey from a single identifiable flower (e.g., clover, orange, sage). In any case, the bees visiting my garden are generally wild and not from an apiary.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see

Add pictures here
✖
On 2/22/12 6:03 AM, lcc_student wrote:

An operation such as you describe located in the UK would definitely NOT benefit or interest me.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
✖
On Wed, 22 Feb 2012 14:03:30 +0000, lcc_student

I think you may be missing the point. Most gardeners are already "bee friendly." What's a garden without bees? Dirt?
One of my favorite sights is early in the morning, finding bees asleep on the flowers. I don't need added incentive to keep bees happy. I do understand that humankind is as rough on bees as we are just about everything else and it's not in the planets best interest to irradicate species that help us but perhaps you're targetting the wrong audience?
Kate
Add pictures here
✖
On Feb 22, 6:03 am, lcc_student <lcc_student.

Where does it say that we don't think honey is important? Personally I try to buy honey that has not been heated (destroys enzymes). But those of us who live in large metro areas do not HAVE honey producers nearby.
(I could check next time I am in one of our 4 farmers markets, just out of curiosity.)
So if no producers available, how would scheme work?
HB If there's something I don't understand...?
HB
But your original proposal
Add pictures here
✖
lcc_student wrote:

I don't see that at all from the responses here, this is a pre-prepared second round reply from you. If you want honest answers from strangers it would be better to show your own bona fides and avoid thoughtless copy/paste. The fact that you are missing is that, aside from honey, bees fertilise many flowering plants including some significant food crops. Something that HB and DER are no doubt aware of but didn't say this time.

This scheme is sophomoric to say the least.
David
Add pictures here
✖

Wow, another Usenet conversation off the rails. Who would have guessed.
Hey, I'm as bee-friendly as anyone can get. I put vinyl siding on my house. The bees love that stuff.
--
Dan Espen

Add pictures here
✖
Dan Espen wrote:

What would you suggest instead then?

Painted with honey hmmmmm.
✖

Where do you live? GPS coordinates would be nice so that we could send a drone to take out the local malignant, infection of ignorance. Do you have the tiniest scintilla of understanding about the importance of bees to agriculture? Wht not ask gardeners, if they would breath oxygen, if given the chance? How have you stayed alive so long?!!

Cordially yours,
--

Billy

E Pluribus Unum