Banana plant that bears fruit

Hello:
I live in Vancouver, B.C. (Zone 8b). I want to grow a banana plant outdoors in my backyard that bears fruit.
Can you give me some suggestions for what variety of banana plant I should buy?
Thanks!!

I think you are S O L.

USDA Zone 8

this book might help.
http://www.stokestropicals.com/detail.aspx?IDu

Banana's are biennial, meaning they bloom the second year and set fruit. However, you will never have enough heat or light up there in Vancouver to stimulate a flower to set fruit.
Down here in Austin, TX I grow bananas, they flower after being in the ground two seasons and the second season is when they produce. You just don't have the conditions and if you did get them to fruit, it would be woody and horrible.
http://www.logees.com/prodinfo.asp?number=R1973-4
I know that our domes up here in Wisconsin have a huge banana with fruit in various stages of ripeness on it. I have a fig "grove" that summers and fruits outside and is then brought into a heated garage for winter. So my feeling is give it a try, look for dwarf varieties. all my container fruits need nearly daily watering. Ingrid
Years ago there was a blurb on BCTV newshour about a fellow in East Van who managed to get somes Banana plants to fruit. Weren't edible and were small.