Baking Soda KIlls Crabgrass?

Just read on another forum that if you sprinkle baking soda on crabgrass it will wither, turn black and die within 5 days.
Has any one on this newsgroup tried the baking soda approach?
Shepherd

Why don't you just do it and report back to us in 5 days.

Checking it out now.
My question was: Has any one on this newsgroup tried the baking soda approach?
I take it you have not!
Shepherd
Shepherd wrote:

advwerse affect upon regular garden plants? It wouldn't seem to but... If it doesn't then I'll give it a shot in my garden. Shoot, worst it can do is not work so what am I out<G>?

Report back in five days or you're fired. ;-)

okay, I just tried it. Not sure I used enough as the wind kept blowing it away, there was enough to leave visible white specks. It's going to rain repeatedly in the next five days. Also not 100% positive mine is crabgrass, but matches everyway that I checked. Crab grass is growing back from being weedwhacked, but I didn't sprinkle everything, so there is a control group.
-- Salty

In a poorly conducted experiment, a light dusting of sodium bicarbonate powder appears to have had no effect. Foliage in applied area appears similar to control group. Rain and substantial wind occured during the test period.
-- Salty
Seems like you all should mix the baking soda with water before putting it on the crabgrass so the plants can absorb it. Have you tried that?

That's probably a good idea. The original post said 'sprinkle', I assumed that meant dry. Anyway, I just thought I'd try it for grins, Need more info before I try again.
-- Salty

I wouldn't blame anyone for checking-in. It could be that the person in the other forum was off their nut, kidding or trolling.
-- Salty
Yeah, and if you piss on it every day for five days it will die, too. Big deal.
Shepherd wrote:

Just tell them your new "gardener" is a real pecker-head!
Val

Well, so much for baking soda!
I applied baking soda on several clumps of crabgrass almost exactly 5 days ago and those clumps look as green and are as vigorous and healthy looking as they did before the treatment.
Shepherd