Avocado Tree

I planted a tree maybe 7 yrs ago here in San Diego from a seed. Will it bear fruit? I think it is a small unusual type Avocado maybe from Mexico. We bought the fruit at a grocery store and I remember that it had a very buttery exotic sort of texture not like the typical avocado purchased here in San Diego. The tree looks very healthy but no flowers at all. What can I expect? Thanks.

Larry

Reply to
Boelkowj

Hi Larry,

You don't say where in San Diego - but they'll certainly grow in Escondido and in the San Pasquale valley. They're grown commercially all around San Diego county, at least inland.

cheers,

Marj

Reply to
M. Tiefert

I would not be confident about getting good fruit from an avocado raised from a seed. Sometimes a seed will produce a fruitful tree but most all the avocados grown in California are grafted. In fact, many of them are double grafted. They start a seed, then graft on the bearing stock, followed by grafting on the preferred rootstock.

If you really want fruit, purchase a tree from a nursery.

Dick

Reply to
Richard Cline

g'day,

generally if you want good quality fruit from an avacado you need to buy a grafted variety, there most likely will be varieties to suit your area.

from seed they could take up to 14 years to fruit that is if they fruit at all if they do i may be very poor quality fruit and not be representative of the fruit the seed came from.

len

snipped

Reply to
len gardener