Are there plants specifically used to create wind protection?

Hi all,

I would like to plant an ornamental cherry tree in the middle of my garden -- problem is, it gets rather windy and I read that wind will cause the petals of the flowers to simply wash away..

I would really like some advise on how to stop the wind from coming through, or if, in fact, the plant will be able to tolerate windy weather.

I'm in Zone 3 though in summer it gets really hot and dry .. With weeks without rain.. And in winter we get considerable frosts in the mornings .. (Melbourne, Australia, to be specific)..

Thanks for your help,

D.

Reply to
Diego

Perhaps a micro climate adjustment could work. If your wind comes from a certain direction why not consider a sculpture to deflect it. A simple wall with a mirror built in can infer infinity. Use your imagination.

Bill

ps "petals of the flowers to simply wash away" as does all life. Tis why we like real flowers and destain fake. Holding on to petals inhibits next years petals. Waxing.

Reply to
Bill

This released nice gentle thoughts :-)

Reply to
Charlie

The county where I live (Ventura) has extensive citrus orchards (mostly lemons). The growers plant Eucalyptus globulus (blue gum) close together in a single row as a windbreak. On a smaller scale, you might try a row of Cupressus sempervirens (Italian cypress).

Reply to
David E. Ross

Around the homesteads in the northern prairies of the US, the fast growing poplar is (pardon the pun) popUlar for just that purpose. For smaller areas, the Russian Olive seems to form a quick, tall hedge around gardens. I have not done either of these, only seen it done.

cheers and g'day

oz

Reply to
MajorOz