Anyone here from California or Florida? Second try at getting information

I brought back from CA here to Illinois some 7/8 diameter palm tree seeds, like miniature cocoanuts. They had fallen from the seed pod clusters on the tree and were laying on the ground/sidewalk. When I lived in FL, we would let the cocoanuts dry out before planting them. Should I do the same thing with these miniature-sized palm tree seeds, or can I just plant them now?

Reply to
hrhofmann

Why ask here? Google is your friend. When presented with the words 'plant palm seeds' it obliged with more information that I cared to wade though but the first answer is probably close enough and probably better than anything you will get here.

Try

John McGaw

biology.

Reply to
hrhofmann

You were given good advice, but chose not to take it. Most people DO try researching on-line first before they post to a NG. It doesn't take a PhD to input search terms and evaluate the results.

Also, you may not know that California is as large as some countries, and varies enormously in macro- and micro-climates. Advice for San Diego would not work in Arcata or near Death Valley.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

I wanted a simple answer to a simple question. I said I was in Illinois and needed to know if I should dry the seeds out or plant them right away. If you went to the web site cited, it was long, too detailed, and did not really answer my original question. Rather than get a treatise on palm trees, I was looking for a quick and dirty answer. Since I was in CA only 2 weeks ago when I got the seeds, I certainly am aware of the geological and biological diversity of the state, but that hs nothing to do with my question.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Do you see many palm trees in Illinois?

Reply to
Billy

Yes, if I go to the Chicago Botanical Gardens. I just asked if I should dry the seeds out first before planting them. I didn't say I was going to plant them outdooors or indoors.

Reply to
hrhofmann

I didn't tell you where to plant your palm seeds. For that kind of information, I told you where to go. If you want a second opinion about where to go, I'd suggest the Chicago Botanical Gardens. Now that you know where to go, I'm sure you know what you can do, phone them. They will all tell you the same thing, "yes".

Reply to
Billy