anyone growing tomatoes?

I'm growing Early Girls and cherry tomatoes. Just now getting fruit.

Reply to
Stu Pittasso

brandywine, cherokee purple, black plum, celebrity, and I've got volunteers of Sweet 100 coming up all over. I've got one more variety, can't recall.

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email) Zone 6b/7, Westchester Co, NY,

Reply to
DigitalVinyl

I ha no idea that sweet 100s will do that. I have about 4 2 ft. high plants that came up this year where I planted them last year! Stu

Reply to
Stu Pittasso

This year I have 3 Romas to provide for my sauce needs (I plan to freeze about a dozen to a dozen and a half quarts), 2 Early Girls (which should start ripening in two weeks, and satisfy my building jones for fresh tomatos), Juliet (a prolific grape tomato that I'll eat for snacks like they're potato chips), and Health Kick (which has a great full flavor, and is super on salads).

My two new plants are a Burpee Big Boy (still looking for a good beefsteak for my BLTs), and Legend (which is suposedly bread specifically for my climet, but yet doesn't look as spectacular as it's hype's been).

Reply to
Warren

yes... 3 Manitoba variety, alaready has green fruit on them. Bought as seedlings from a horticulture store in Calgary. Now all we need is some sun and heat!

take care Liz

Reply to
MisNomer

I had two plants planted together and had a 6-7 foot tall bush with the tops flopping over and running back down the outside of the cages. literally, hundreds of tomatoes. I estimate 40-50% burst on the vine, dropped, or fell while harvesting. I developed a huge ant colony at the base of the plant. It was gross, some days the ground was a jiggling black carpet. With that level of waste I just decided to skip them. But they came back. I've had well over a dozen volunteers. I've decided to let a few survive in containers. Maybe if contained they wouldn't be so messy.

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email) Zone 6b/7, Westchester Co, NY,

Reply to
DigitalVinyl

I haven't planted any Sweet 100s for about 6 years yet I have PLENTY of them every summer (even though we have had winters with temperatures below zero). This year I decided not to compose the extra plants but instead gave them to my neighbors kids (or grand kids). Just yesterday a neighbor's five year old proudly reported that he has "four tomatoes and lots of flowers" (tomato blooms).

Reply to
Bill R